Style > Beauty

Five Ways to Prevent Makeup from Affecting Your Health

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

From Queen Nefertiti with her winged eyeliner to the Chou Dynasty using makeup to display their social class, makeup has had a powerful presence for decades. However, many are unaware of the detrimental harm that makeup can cause to your health. Whether you are a college student or an MUA these are tips everyone can use.

1. The Use of Primer- Before you apply any makeup to your face, it is important to apply primer. Although primer has several different perks, such as making your makeup last longer and not look as oily, primer can also benefit your skin in the long run. While using foundation or any liquid product, it is only natural for it to build up in your pores. However while using makeup primer, it creates a protective layer between your face and the makeup from potential acne.

2. Clean Your Brushes- Cleaning your brushes is essential to any makeup routine. Over a period of time, your brushes begin to develop unwanted layers of bacteria and product in your brushes. There are several ways that you can ensure that your beloved brushes are clean. Personally, I use the “Sigma Spa Brush Cleaning Mat” all you have to do is place this mat in the sink and rub your brushes against the different textures that the mat provides. The downfall to this mat is that it usually takes 6 hours to dry so if you plan on going somewhere this may not be the best tool. However there are more expensive routes such as using machines that wash and dry your brushes for you in the matter of minutes.

3.  Don’t Share Makeup- Although it may be fun to switch up different looks and styles, sharing makeup with your friends and family can hurt you in the long run. By allowing others to dip into your eyeshadow palette or lip gloss, you are putting yourself at risk for allowing their bacteria to get into your skin. If you are someone that still doesn’t want to budge on not allowing others to use makeup, I recommend purchasing a cosmetic sanitizer mist and carrying it in your bag. The BeautySoClean mist is the spray that professionals at MAC, Sephora, and ULTA use before and after they do a client. This spray retails for just 16 dollars.

4. Check the Expiration Dates- Although the Food and Drug administration does not require cosmetic companies to provide expiration dates, its highly suggested and often questioned If they don’t. Unfortunately, many customers in the beauty community are not aware of this hidden gem. Usually located on the back of the product, is a small symbol that displays a number and then the letter “M.” Depending on the number is how many months you should be using the product after the first use. It is important to follow this date on your makeup especially your eye makeup. Products like eyeliner, mascara and eyeshadow palettes are the most crucial to pay attention to because your placing these products on your eyes. Next time you use your makeup, try and locate the expiration date and ask yourself when the first time was that you used it.

5. Forgetting to Wash Your Face- Lastly, forgetting to wash your face at night could be one of the most detrimental things to your skin. After having your makeup on for hours, as well as sweating throughout the day, its natural for your skin to grow unwanted dirt which is why it’s crucial to develop a good skin routine. Personally, the first thing I use to to cleanse my face is the Neutrogena makeup remover towelettes, these wipes will remove your extremely stubborn makeup from your face. After the wipes I recommend using a cleanser that caters to your skin. There are cleaners for all different types such as oily, dry, or acne prone skin. As much energy as you put into “beating” your face, make sure that you take care of what is underneath as well!

Photos Courtesy of: Giphy, Hourglass, BeautySoClean, The Chic Site, and Neutrogena

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com