This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Finest Freshman is Mason Cardwell. Mason is a first-year Nursing major, Leadership Studies minor from Cincinnati, Ohio. He aspires to be a nurse practitioner working in pediatrics. On campus, he is a member of Men’s Caucus and the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute. In his free time, Mason likes to work out, play basketball, and read news articles about what’s happening in the U.S. Keep reading to find out about our finest freshman of the week, Mason!

HC: What made you choose Hampton?

MC: I wanted to go to an HBCU, and I wanted to attend an HBCU with structure. I like that when you come out of Hampton, you’re a Hampton man. Not many other schools have that so that’s what made me want to come here.

HC: What has it been like coming from Ohio to Virginia?

MC: My whole life I’ve been uncomfortable and felt like the odd one out because I am black, so coming here felt like home. I like that I have a safe space, and that I can voice my opinions freely.

HC: How are you adjusting to eating the caf food and what do you think about it?

MC: I had been a vegetarian for the past two years, up until about the time I came to Hampton, so I was already pretty much just eating to survive. To me, with all the different options, everything looks good.

HC: What are you most looking forward to for Homecoming?

MC: I’m excited for the student atmosphere. I visited Hampton on homecoming and that’s partly what made me want to come. It seemed like a lot of fun and made me feel at home, so I’m ready to see what Hampton has to offer.

HC: If you could choose three artists for us to get for the Homecoming concert, who would you pick?

MC: Lil Baby, Gunna, and Wale

HC: Are you searching for your Hampton Woman?

MC: Yes, I’m definitely looking.

HC: What is your ideal Hampton woman?

MC: I want somebody who can make me laugh, that I can talk to, and that has the same interests as me. Really, I just want somebody I can vibe with.

Make sure to follow Mason on his social media below!

Instagram: mycuknowme

Twitter: mycuknowme

Snapchat: mycuknowme1

Kennedi Jackson is a senior journalism major, leadership studies minor from Atlanta, GA. She is one of the 2020-2021 associate editors for the HerCampus Hampton U chapter. Post-graduation, Kennedi hopes to work in an editorial position, communications department, or digital media.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.