Fabulous Freshman: Kaitlyn O’leary

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Meet Kaitlyn O’Leary! Kaitlyn is a freshman, nursing major and Spanish minor from Houston, Texas. While many students come from far away to attend Hampton, Kaitlyn came all the way from Texas, which is over 20 hours! She says she wanted to get away from home and enhance her college experience by forcing herself to come out of her shell and not be so dependent on her parents. Over all, Kaitlyn is loving her Hampton experience. She actively participates in event with the Southwest Pre-Alumni Council and volunteers regularly with Hampton Alumni Affairs, as she is a National Hampton Alumni Association Scholar. We sat down with Kaitlyn to get the 411 about her experience at Hampton so far!

HC: How did you choose your major?

KO: I have a lot of nurses in my family so they’ve always had an influence on me. And plus, I’ve always loved science. So it just fit.

HC: What has been your favorite experience so far?

KO: That’s hard! There have been a lot of good times! I would have to say the first night we got off curfew. We didn’t really do anything crazy or wild, we just stayed out to stay out. It was a good friend moment.

HC: What’s one thing you miss the most about home?

KO: I don’t just have one thing! I have several. I miss What-A-Burger, Torchy’s, my sister and having my car! Also- taking a shower without shower shoes!

HC: What are you Christmas break plans?

KO: I’m going back home. Hopefully, I’ll get to see my sister play volleyball since I’ve miss all of her games this semester. I’ll also catch up with my friends.  But I’m really going to enjoy just being home.

HC: What are you most looking forward to next semester?

KO: My schedule! My schedule next semester is beautiful! I don’t have any classes before 10 am!

HC: If you could change one thing about the university what would it be?

KO: The school is really strict in some areas that aren’t as important like visitation and curfew.

HC: What are your goals for next year?

KO: I want to pass the nursing exam to get into the program.

HC: How would you define the Hampton Woman?

KO: This is a hard one! I think the Hampton Woman is anything she wants to be. She does everything in confidence and doesn’t question herself. 

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.