This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Fabulous Freshman is the gorgeous Chandler Rodgers. She is a first-year Cybersecurity major from Prince George’s County, Maryland. Chandler’s outgoing and inclusive personality spreads throughout the campus. She loves to be apart of the things that make this university great.

HC: What would you consider your style to be?

CR: My style..I just kind of pick what I like. I like what I like. I don’t know how to categorize it. I’m more of a chill person. I don’t do heels and shoes of that sort a lot. I just wear vans and sneakers and things like that.

HC: What impacted your decision to go to Hampton?

CR: Mainly my parents. I knew I wanted to go to an HBCU, but my parents had a huge influence on me coming here because I didn’t know much about it. I was more so looking at Howard you know, but they really pushed me to go here. I’m really excited to be here.

HC: Describe your perfect guy.

CR: I’m not really picky. I just want somebody who knows how to communicate. Communication is key. If you don’t got that, then you don’t got nothing. Other than that, it’s not really much. If I like you, I like you.

HC: Are you in any organizations, and if so what do you do in them?

CR: I’m in G.I.R.L. and I’m in DMV PAC as of right now. With G.I.R.L. we do community service, outreach with other girls and kids at other schools and with DMV PAC, we do things within the DMV people like community service, host events, and fundraising like G.I.R.L.

HC: What’s your most embarrassing moment?

CR: I remember one time my people were pushing me to do this performance in front of all these people.I had to lip sing or something like that. And you know I didn’t want to do it, but they were forcing me. So I did it and my ponytail (when I had hair at the time), got caught in the chord and I was stuck. And I was just so embarrassed, like why would they make me do that?!

HC: What has college taught you so far?

CR: I would say a lesson I have learned is being alone is okay. Because back home, me and my friends, we would always be together, but when I got here everybody’s got different schedules and it’s not always someone to be with you and guide you. So it’s okay to be to yourself. It really taught me it is okay to be by myself. Like I can do this. I can do it.

HC: What made you choose your major?

CR: My parents again. They both work for the government. My mom does something like what I want to do or am trying to do, so I’m trying to follow in her footsteps.

HC: Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

CR: Ten years, I’m going to be having that bank! All I know is, I do not want to work for the government, but since my major is Cybersecurity, I plan to do something in the IT field. I want to work for a private company, [and] I kind of want to have a side business too. All the income I’m just trying to get it! Wherever life takes me, it takes me.

HC: How would you describe your personality?

CR: I’m a very different person. I’m kind of straightforward, but I’m considerate too. I need communication. I feel like that is very important and you can do anything and solve anything if you just talk about it. I’m very talkative and sociable. I really do love people, I’m just trying to get everybody involved and engaged. I learned that you learn something new from every person you meet. So I try to take something from each person I meet and I use that and implement it in my life. I feel like you have to be sociable to learn things.

Follow Chan on Twitter @L1LCHAN and on Snap: yooocee!

I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.