samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Career

Campus Celebrity: Kenley Duke

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This week’s Campus Celebrity is no other than the one and only Kenley Duke! She is a GRADUATING senior, psychology major, cinema studies minor from the “P” Portsmouth, VA. What started off as a creative outlet has taken Kenley places she never even imagine. When naming great filmmakers and creative minds like Spike Lee, Steven Spielberg, Quentin Tarantino, make sure you mention Kenley Duke. Keep reading to know about her recent success on her new film, and what she has next up her sleeve!

HC: Where does your passion for filmmaking come from?

KD: My passion for filmmaking comes from my love of storytelling. I love to tell stories, hear stories, and create them from thin air. The process of building a story from the ground up is what keeps me going! It’s the same process over and over again but a different story each time. Its addicting.

HC: Who has had the biggest influence over your career?

KD: The youth. The kids who’s creative aspirations are condensed by the societal expectations of the system. I want to assist in helping kids find their voice and share their truth. They influence me to go harder everyday so that people of color in film is no longer a taboo. Creatives of color need to be normalized and treated equally.

HC: If you could meet any celebrity dead or alive, who would it be? Why?

KD: No brainer. Oprah Winfrey. The woman is just incredible. She has been through the lowest of the trenches and the highest of the valleys. She never let her struggle define her future. She is full of knowledge and magic that I just want to have one conversation to soak it all up.

HC: Explain what your film “Overdue” has meant to you?

KD: Man. I never thought that Overdue would touch as many people as it did. To me, it was a way to share the collective stories of young women trapped in toxic relationships that have been normalized. I remember thinking that abuse, obsession, craziness, and rage was love. It’s absolutely not. These relationships can go left really fast if no action is taken. Personally, I’ve been there and I’ve done that and there’s no better time to leave then right now.

HC: What is your favorite part of the filmmaking process?

KD: My favorite part…that’s such a hard one lol. If I have to pick one aspect, I’d pick writing the script. Creating is therapeutic to me. So, when I write I get to build this world with these people who have lives that I created in my head. They behave and communicate just like the people in my life, the experiences I’ve had, and even the conversations I’ve overheard. There are no barriers with writing. I can’t be right or wrong.

HC: How do you feel you have grown as a director/creator?

KD: I started off very timid and insecure about my abilities. With internships, shadowing, networking, and working hands on I was thrown into the industry and i had to grow a pair right then and there if I wanted to keep up. I started this journey in 2016 and in 2018 I can say that I’ve gained a sense of identity in my craft and I’m now open to taking risks as a creative.

HC: What has been your favorite film that you have worked on thus far?

KD: My favorite film that I’ve worked on is easily an Indy film Company feature length film from last summer. It’s was a sci-fi project with a large cast and a pretty decent budget. I was only a production assistant but just being in the room soaking up all of the knowledge and learning all of the departments that play a role in production was life changing and I slaved for 16 hours a day but it was worth it :)

HC: Tell us about the recent success that Overdue has received?

KD: My friend Jada George and I took the same screenwriting class last semester and we came across this competition called Girls Impact the World Film Festival. Neither of us had ever written a narrative before let alone produced and directed one so we said hey let’s make a film and submit it, we have nothing to lose. Fast forward and we were chosen as the Judges Top 20 films and we are headed to Austin, TX to have our film screened and receive red carpet recognition. Also, College Daze Media screened our film on their digital platforms for Short Film Sunday! I’m still in shock TBH.

HC: What can we see next from Kenley Duke?

KD: I’m working on a few projects here and there. I want to delve more into music videos and narratives with more dialogue. Shout out to MoThoro! We’re working on a music video for his single 304 that will be dropping this spring! With my main focus being graduating this May, I’m limiting myself from project overload but I’m absolutely excited about this one.

HC: Any advice or tips you have for people who are aspiring to go down the same career path!

KD: This advice is for any creative who is seeking to transform their passion into their career. Never let societal expectations condense your purpose in this world. The work you put in, is what you get out. As a creator, you have to be true to yourself and never compare your journey to the next mans. We are who we are for a reason, so build from your heart and never ever give up.

Don’t forget to support Kenley by following her personal Instagram and Twitter accounts and also by follow the Overdue’s Instagram’s account for any updates! 

Ig- kenleymduke

Twitter- kenleyduke

Overdue:

Ig- overdue.thefilm

Kierra Cole

Hampton U '19

22. Hampton U. Senior