jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Campus Celebrity: David Martin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

David Martin, is a senior Biology, Pre-Dentistry major from Odenton, Maryland. On campus, he has been a part of a plethora of organizations; responsible for hosting events, organizing panels, serving on panels, organizing community service events, fundraisers, and parties. He previously was a part of SLP where he found out that his purpose in life was to serve his community. Since then, he became a man of Alpha where he’s been able to do great things for the community and be a positive role model for other young individuals that aspire to elevate themselves. David’s most recent accomplishment was becoming the President of the Undergraduate Student National Dental Association here on Hampton University’s campus. This has given him the opportunity to create awareness to what dentistry has to offer, what summer experiences are available, and what admission offices expect when you’re applying to dental school. David loves his tenure here at Hampton and is extremely excited to see what the future holds.

HC: What is the project you are working on for Black History Month?

DM: The purpose of this project is to touch a spirit that feels alone and is suffering internally. This will help others know they are not alone and that it is okay to seek help when needed. Mental Health is serious and not spoken on enough. This is a month-long series depicting different emotions we as humans may go through. The emotions will progressively get better to show progression towards healing. Starting with DEPRESSION & ending with HAPPINESS. Anonymous submissions to the LINK in my bio are welcomed. The submission will help someone by letting them know they are not alone and also 1: Create awareness to what is going on around you.  2: Letting people know that people go through similar things, & 3: That it’s okay to seek help.  

HC: What inspired you to do this project?

DM: Well what inspired me was my own previous battles with mental health and the number of friends I’ve had struggle with it as well. Also a guy I grew up with who everyone loved recently committed suicide from depression and I just feel as though with the right support and help he could’ve been saved.

HC: Define blackness.

DM: Blackness is understanding the culture of which you come from and doing what’s necessary to protect it. Blackness is loving your descent and representing it in the highest form.

HC: What is one of the most difficult things about being a black man today?

DM: The most difficult thing is not fulfilling the negative stereotypes while being your natural self. Also, proving to other races you’re not inferior and capable of succeeding no matter the environment.

HC: Do you have any suggestions for black men to do to overcome stereotypes & to be treated better?

DM: Persevere & Stay true. Get through anything troubling you and never forget who you are, what you’ve dealt with, or where you come from.

HC: What do you love about being black?

DM: I love the energy we as a people give off. The love felt by the black community is unmatched. We have our differences but at the end of the day, it’s always love even in the darkest places. I also love our women and cooking! There is nothing like a meal made by a black woman. I also love how welcoming we are.

HC: How do you feel about interracial relationships?

DM: This is going to sound cliché, but love has no color. Love is such a beautiful thing I can never say it’s wrong for two people to love. Love is love.

Be sure to follow David on Instagram and Twitter @PhutureDoc to participate in his mental health project all through Black History Month!

Samiyah Gaddy is a Junior Strategic Communications major, marketing minor from Plainfield, New Jersey. She is destined for excellence as both a public intellectual and a media personality.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.