rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As 2018 begins, so do opportunities and a new semester. We all see the tweets about staying focused, getting straight A’s, and earning a 4.0 GPA this semester. We say this every single year and nothing changes. But there’s one question: How come there isn’t any change? Well, my theory is change hasn’t come because we are waiting for others to motivate us. We are waiting for social media and our peers to text us long paragraphs of how proud they are or telling us not to give up or explaining how they believe in us. In order to instill change in your life, YOU have to be motivating yourself to do all of those things.

Here are some things you can do to get to where you want to be.

Step 1. Stay Positive

You know yourself. You know better than anyone what you need to tell yourself to reach your goals and negativity is not something you need. Write notes on your wall, mirror, or planner– somewhere you’re going to see it. Make goals for yourself and don’t give up on them easily. If you’re positive, then it will be really hard for anyone to rain on your parade.

Step 2. Think of the Long Term

Obviously, these are goals that are important to you. You want them for some reason. Consistently, think about how it’s going to be once that goal is reached. Say you’re goal is to lose 30 pounds. As your laying in your bed despising the walk all the way from your dorm to the stu, think about how great your body is going to look for the summer in a sexy bikini. Think about how great you’re going to feel when you accomplish whatever it is you want.

Step 3. Reward Yourself

Now after you do what you can for the week to reach your goal, reward yourself. Go out. Have fun with your friends. Stay in alone in the quiet and watch marathons of movies. Do something you like to do. Hard work shouldn’t go unrewarded.

These steps are going to help you make your goals, reach your goals, and have a hell of a time celebrating yourself. Stop waiting for others to encourage you to do better, instead, encourage yourself to do great.

I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.