Aliah Williamson: Intern Queen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Determined, poised, and resilient. These are words that come to mind when talking to Aliah Williamson, a junior journalism major from San Diego, California. Her Campus Hampton University likes to think of her as the Intern Queen. Aliah has been incredibly successful while at Hampton University. As a student first, she has always focused on academics while also mastering the balance between work and extra-curricular activities. This year she is taking the journalism world by storm! Aliah recently began an internship with a nearby news station, and was just named Scripps Top Intern by the Scripps Howard Foundation. This Intern Queen really knows what she’s doing. After completing a prior internship and assuming her current one, Aliah has now realized her passion to help others. She wants to help other students be better interns. We stopped to chat with the Intern Queen and learn more about her awesome experiences this year.

HC: Why did you pick journalism as a major?

AW: I’ve always loved to talk, and when I was little I use to mimic the reporters on TV. My mom told me that’s what I could do. So I never really wanted be a reporter. I just wanted to be an anchor! I wanted to have my own show, kind of like Oprah. But you know, when it goes from a dream to reality, you realize the steps it takes to get there.

HC: You recently started a new internship. Tell us about that!

AW: I started an internship at WTKR-WGNT News Channel 3.  I heard about it from a big sister. We were just talking about opportunities. As a freshman and sophomore I was so impatient. I thought I needed an internship then! I was like, “Why don’t I have one? Where can I get one?” My big sister told me to calm down, that I’d get an internship, and to try out for this one. It’s a good place to start. I applied for it over the summer. When I got the opportunity it just fit my schedule perfectly.

HC: What types of things do you do at your internship and what’s your favorite?

AW: At WTKR they have a class of interns who come in once a semester. You’ll learn one thing every week, such as editing one week, writing another, and then you’ll learn about producing. That way you’ll become well-rounded. At the end of six weeks, you have four more weeks to go and then you have free reign to do whatever you want. But you also have to write web articles. My favorite part has to be learning. You get hands-on experience.

HC: You also competed in and won Scripps Top Intern last week! Tell us about that experience.

AW: I saw Scripps Top Intern last year and I doubted myself. I didn’t put in an application because I thought it would be all seniors. Then I saw the presentations and I was mad at myself for not even giving it a try. As soon as I saw it go up this year, I sent in my application. Then, as a finalist, I put together a presentation. I knew automatically what I was going to talk about. I knew that I wanted to help other students be better interns. In the past I had trouble with my internships because I thought it was just me and my boss who had issues. But when I researched this stuff, I realized it’s a millennial thing. We have this mindset that we know everything-that we think an internship is the next step to a job or that we’re just passing through. I want to help black students and my peers be better at being interns. If you can just change a few things about your attitude and the way you work in your internship, you will excel and be way above all the other interns in your class. That just makes you better. 

HC: What has been the most challenging part about being a journalism major?

AW: The most challenging part about being a journalism major is that you completely underestimate it in the beginning. You’re like: “I like to talk, I like to write, how hard can this be?” It’s also hard because you have to be self-motivated as a journalist. Since there are already enough journalists out there, no one’s looking for you. For doctors, we need them in order to feel better. With journalists, it’s like we need them but we can get them from somewhere else. So you have to be self-motivated and push yourself. Also you have to be unique. That’s so important in journalism! You have to tell it differently or be different from the next person. 

HC: You’ve been so successful while at Hampton. What do you think has gotten you where you are today?

AW: It’s honestly nothing but God. You know, you hear “all glory to God, it’s all His plan.” But it wasn’t until recently that I looked back and realized I could not have done any of this stuff unless it was literally planned and placed out. I tripped into it by God! The motivation He put into me helped as well. And being in the right place at the right time and being willing also helped. It was all His plan. I don’t know what’s next, but I’m learning to trust, let go, and not freak out.

HC: What piece of advice would you give to an incoming freshman majoring in journalism?

AW: I would tell them to pay attention and network. That’s the two most important things. What I mean by “pay attention” is organize your life, keep your classes together, have a plan, pay attention. It’s easy to get distracted by the other stuff going on, but don’t forget why you’re here. You’re here to go to school and get those internships. Also,  for networking, talk to people even if you think they look intimidating. If you see someone who you think looks successful go up to them, introduce yourself. Ask them how they got there. People will drop little nuggets on accident or on purpose. 

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.