Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day Hub Hero R1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

10 Creative, Fun & Cost-Effective VDay Dates That Will Make You Rethink Your Plans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Over the years, people have started to lose the true meaning and fun that comes with Valentine’s Day. In today’s society, Valentine’s Day has become a spending competition on how much money you can spend for your S.O. when it should be about spending time with each other. The actual holiday was rumored to be created during the 5th century, as a day of love, but somehow we’ve made it about money, women, and boring dates if you ask me. Couples have been recycling the same tired date ideas for Valentine’s Day year after year. Movies, dinner, hotels, etc. While there’s nothing wrong with enjoying these types of dates, there are so many creative date ideas out there that YOU and your S.O. will probably cherish a lot more. I know I for one, enjoy making memories that I’ll vividly remember because it was a fun date, not just a nice one. That’s partly because I am a quality time love-language(r), but who wouldn’t want to have a good time with their S.O. 

This year, lose the conventional ways of dating and start a new tradition with your S.O. To help you with that, I have taken ten rather boring traditional date ideas, and spiced them up by keeping the same date idea but making it more intimate, fun, cost-effective and socially-distanced safe. (from others, not each other.) Just call me cupid. Your S.O. will thank you later.

1. Going to the movies.

Have an intimate indoor movie night.

​Save your coins (and gas money) by bringing the theatre to you this Valentine’s Day. Don’t think of it as your typical Netflix and chill night. Pop the popcorn and get some slushies and candy from your local gas station. Bring out the blankets and pillows and get cozy. This is an ideal date for couples who love physical touch, quality time, and socially-distancing (from others, not each other).

Person in Black and White Striped Socks Lying on Bed
Photo by Taryn Elliot from Pexels

2. Going to get a couple massages.

At-home couple massages where you massage each other.

Why go out and get massaged by a random stranger when you can get a massage from your S.O. 1. It’s not as awkward and 2. It will bring you two (a lot) closer. By doing it at home, you can add music, maybe light some candles, etc. This date is perfect for couples or people whose love language is physical touch. 

3. Going out to eat at a nice restaurant.

Staying at home and making a new dish together.

Going out to eat is not a bad date, however it’s the not the most fun, creative or affordable date either. Instead of spending the night at a quiet, dark restaurant, why not spice things up and cook a meal with your S.O. at home! Bring out the wine,playlist and pinterest recipe, and make dinner together! This will bring you closer, give you an opportunity to work together, be intimate and have fun at the same time. Especially if deep down you are competitive. Maybe spice things up by having a cook off to see who can make the better dish.

ABC/Craig Sjodin

4. Spending the weekend at a nearby hotel.

Going on a road trip with your S.O. to another city that requires spending 1-3+ hours in the car.

Besides driving for a long period of time, road trips are the perfect time to talk, laugh, reminisce and listen to music with your S.O. If you didn’t already know, car conversations are the best conversations. Just imagine how closer you and your S.O. will be after a few hours. Make a playlist, think of some getting to know you (more) games, bring snacks and pack a bag. If you were a fan on the way there, you’re going to be a fan on the way back home too! This date is perfect for those who love quality time.

5. Going out to dinner.

Going to brunch.

Why wait all day to go to dinner, when you can celebrate Valentine’s Day early with a brunch for your S.O.? Brunch is arguably the best meal of the day and makes things a little more interesting and lively. Have a mimosa or two. Or three.

Photo courtesy of Claudia Langella

6. Trying to find something new for you and your S.O. to do.

Recreate your first date.

Why stress over V-Day plans for you and your S.O., when the most sacred memory you have with one another was the first time you went out. Depending on what your first date consisted of, this could bring back old memories and allow you to reminisce on how far you both have come since then. This also gives you great conversation topics. The story of how you both first met, what were your first impressions, thoughts during your first dates, etc. The list is endless. This date idea is perfect for those who cherish sentimental gifts as moments.

7. Traveling and going somewhere out of the country or state.

Touring new spots in your city for the weekend.

This is a very underrated date. Even though you might have been living in your city/town for your entire life, I bet there are a lot of places you have never been that you’ve always wanted to or places you’ve never even heard of before. Do some research and schedule things for you and your S.O. to do for the day or throughout the weekend. This date is perfect for those who are adventurous and like to try new things.

beale street in memphis tennessee
Photo by BruceEmmerling from Pixabay

8. Buying your S.O. a gift.

Spice things up and buy each other gifts by testing how well you know each other. *challenge*

This was a challenge that went viral on TikTok and YouTube not too long ago. You and your S.O. come up with a list of things to get each other maybe a couple of days before V-Day. Ex: their favorite ice cream, their favorite clothing brand, their favorite food. Then, each S.O. goes out and finds a gift that they think they S.O. love, testing how much you know each other. (Ex: If it was their favorite ice cream, going and buying the icecream you think your S.O. likes the most) On V-Day, you all will swap and reveal each gift simultaneously revealing how well you all know each other. This is perfect for couples that like to receive gifts and helps you to learn what your S.O. likes if you get something wrong. 

9. Going to look at art at a museum.

Host an at-home paint and sip.

Why go out and look at art when you can stay at home and create it yourself. Buy all the materials, bring out the playlist and get to painting. Set up your stations across from each other and reveal what your canvases look like at the end. This gives you time to talk and joke about how terrible the other one is a drawing. Again, this is another perfect date for those who love quality time and art. 

Woman Painting Outside Garden
JTMultimidia/Pexels

10. An outdoor picnic.

An indoor candlelight picnic.

This is taking the viral rose petals on the floor idea to the next level. This is ideal for people who live in colder states where it’s snowing outside, but perfect for anyone. Set up a few blankets and pillows in your living room and set up the picnic basket as if it were the real deal. This is the perfect time to finally make the charcuterie board you’ve been wanting to make that was all over social media a couple of weeks ago. This keeps things intimate and sweet at the same time.

charcuterie board with fruit and cheese
Photo by Kate Hliznitsova from Unsplash

Hopefully, one of these ten date ideas has got you putting together a list of things in your notes app, or have got the little creative wheels in your head turning with ideas. With a week left until Valentine’s Day weekend, you still have time to make that day feel special for your S.O. and you! (because Valentine’s Day is for both partners in the relationship, not just one.) 

Xoxo,
Cupid

Raven Harper

Hampton U '22

Raven Harper @raejhene is a Graduating Senior at Hampton University studying Journalism and Marketing. She serves as the campus correspondent over Hampton's chapter. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking new things, iced coffee and endless scrolling on pinterest.