samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

This is for the Teachers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

I’m from WI and I haven’t been quiet about that. In fact, I wrote an entire article about what it was like living in Wisconsin as a swing state and I spent a good chunk of it talking about Scott Walker, the governor we infamously tried (and failed) to recall in 2012 after he earned his title of the “Union Buster,” screwing over, primarily but not only, teachers. This, it seems, was one of his favorite hobbies, as Scott Walker made quite the habit of worsening the lives and jobs of teachers.

Post from my personal instagram October 11th.

Why do I know this? I happen to come from a family where my mom, both of my aunts, and two of my five cousins are either teachers or work in schools.

So it is with utter gleeful joy that I report that Scott Walked is O. U. T. OUT!

And that’s not even the best part.

First, let’s break it down. This election was wicked close and a winner wasn’t declared until almost 2am. To show how nail biting this was, below is a screenshot of my texts to my friend, giving her sleeping self a play by play of the ballot counting:

The final text, with the screenshot of Tony Evers, the now democratic governor-elect of Wisconsin, being declared the winner was sent at 1:40am. The final thirty thousand votes for Evers came in when Milwaukee, a very liberal city, finally counted and reported their absentee ballots.

Oh, but the story isn’t over folks.

First off, Scott Walker refused to concede until much later the following day. And maybe, like my earlier texting self, you’re thinking “Oh well if it was that close there might be a recount right? That’s why he didn’t concede. Afterall, Georgia and Florida held out for the possibilities of recounts.”

Screenshot from my personal snapchat posted November 7th.

But in Wisconsin that’s a big NOPE. And all because of—guess who?—Scott Walker.

See, back in 2016, Trump won the state by a very narrow margin, prompting some to demand a recount. In response, Walker passed a law saying a recount could not be initiated if an election was won by over 1%.

Tony Evers bested Scott Walker by 1.1%, just barely over the 1% threshold, which just makes all of the nail biting stress so so so so worth it.

That’s right, Scott Walker.

And as my teacher mom would say…

That’s for f—ing with the teachers.

Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University