alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Stay Busy During J-Term

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

January is a great time to relax, reflect and rest after a long first semester. Many students take the opportunity of the month to take an extra class at Hamline, but what do you do if you’re not taking a class and find yourself on or near campus? Here are some cheap and freethings to do during the J-term.

1)   Visit the Saint Paul Winter Carnival-

This carnival is for all ages and puts on a variety of different events such as ice carving competitions, a winter run and multiple parades. It takes place in multiple different spots in St. Paul, including the Minnesota State Fairgrounds. It starts on January 24th and ending February 3rd.

2)   Go ice skating-

The Wells Fargo Winter Skate is open until February 3rd. Skate rental is just $4. They offer free skating lessons from 12pm-1pm January 12th, 19th and 26th. Their open skate hours are Monday-Thursday: 11am-4:50pm, Friday-Saturday: 11am-10pm, and Sunday 11am-4:50pm.

3)   Catch up on Netflix or Hulu-

J-term in the perfect time to lay in bed or on the couch and binge watch all the shows you’ve gotten behind on, or start some new series, because I mean, why not?

4)   Visit the Career Development Center-

The CDC is open Monday-Friday from 8am-5pm and you can call to get an appointment at any time. There’s no better time to work on a resume than January.

5)   Visit Minnehaha Falls-

Walking the trails is a great summer activity, but if you’re brave enough to bear the cold temperatures of winter, then the falls are not something you want to miss. The snow covered trails and iced over falls are another breathtaking view the St. Paul area has to offer.

These are just a few activities you can endure during your time off, St. Paul and surrounding cities have so much to offer, and are sure to have something to fit whatever adventurous or non-adventurous desire.

Hamline
Skyler Kane

Hamline '20

Creative Writing Major, Campus Coordinator for Her Campus, and former Editor and Chief for Fulcrum Journal at Hamline University