Hamline Writing Orgs: finding the write experience for you

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamline chapter.

It can be hard when you’re looking at the real world, past college, and wondering “how am I supposed to have any experience to get into my dream job of becoming a writer?” If you’re trying to use your Creative Writing or English degree in editing, publishing or journalism, you might find that companies ask for experience from students in publishing, copy editing, writing and fact checking. You may wonder how you are supposed to get that experience, but thankfully Hamline has a couple of writing and creative orgs that can give you experience to put on your resume.

Canvas:

Canvas is a student run magazine that publishes once a semester. They offer opportunities both in writing, photography and have even published masterfully done comics. The feature magazine allows for writers to put their own voices into their works, and because they only publish once a semester, it allows students with busy schedules to focus on writing one intriguing piece within weeks instead of only a couple days. Experience that you can gain at Canvas includes strong writing skills, editing skills, fact checking and communication skills as you interview those in  the Hamline community.

Oracle:

Even though this student-run newspaper is faster paced to keep with a weekly deadline, it allows you to get into the community and tell breaking stories. Writing for sections such as news, sports, A&E, variety and opinion, writers can be paid up to $15 a piece. The oracle hires year-round for reporters. They also hire photographers and copy editors. For those who are looking for design experience along with business and leadership experience, the Oracle also hires section editors to work in design and manage reporters. If you wish to learn about the inner workings of a newspaper and gain integral experience writing on a deadline, copy editing a variety of pieces, AP style and communication then the Oracle is for you. The style doesn’t allow for your voice to be in the pieces, especially if you work with news, but it does teach you how to cut out unnecessary words in your writing. If it’s any consolation, Stephen King started as a journalist.

Fulcrum:  

Aspire to go into book publishing? The Fulcrum is the place for you. Publishing a yearly literary journal, those on staff learn how to sift through submissions of both visual art and written works, layout a literary journal and market a publication. The Fulcrum only hires at the beginning of the fall semester, so it is key to pay attention to their hiring dates, but once you’re on the staff, you can gain key tools that can propel you into the future. Even if you don’t wish to be on their staff, you can always submit your written and visual works to the Fulcrum each year. Their submissions start at the end of the fall semester and end around the beginning of the spring semester. Having accepted pieces in the journal can show publishers and future employers that you have strong writing skills, can follow assignments (by following submission guidelines) and know how to appeal to audiences.  

Her Campus Hamline:

Yes, this is a shameless plug, but bear with me. With the same publishing schedule as the Oracle, Her Campus Hamline allows for writers to write weekly or biweekly. Allowing writers to put their own voice into their articles can show employers that you can meet deadlines, communicate, have strong writing and appeal to a wide audience. Her Campus Hamline also hires an event director, social media director and senior editor. So, if your preference is to gain marketing skills, then Her Campus has that covered. It also hires copy editors, which can help students gain editing experience in AP style. Writing for a broad audience and having even a national demographic can allow writers to get out their and try their hand in online media. Her Campus Hamline hires writers and photographers year-round, and I promise it doesn’t normally do shameless plugs.

Whether you plan on going into publishing, communication, journalism or business every employer is looking for those employees who can communicate efficiently. There is no easier way to show future employers that you have strong written and verbal communication than joining a writing org on campus. With a variety of orgs, with different writing styles, missions and publishing deadlines, it can be easy to find one that fits into your tastes and schedules.    

Madelaine Formica is nineteen. She is the Campus Correspondent for the Hamline HerCampus Chapter. She's been published for her scripts on jaBlog and for a short story in Realms YA magazine. She's also a senior reporter for The Oracle and a literary editor for Fulcrum literary magazine.