Announcing Bechdel Test Movie Nights!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.

It’s no big secret that movies don’t always feature female characters in the best light. All too often, there’s just a token female character or two created for the sole purpose of fighting over a boy. Her Campus is dedicated to creating journalism and programming for women to enjoy at Hamilton. Thus, one of our goals is to showcase and promote films with complex and well-rounded female characters. Her Campus is announcing that it will soon begin Bechdel Test Movie Nights!

In case you are unfamiliar with the Bechdel Test, any work of fiction can pass if it has at least two named female characters who discuss something other than a man. While this seems like a relatively easy qualification, it’s incredible how many films actually fail this test. Her Campus’ first showing will take place on Saturday September 29th, so look out for our email! We will have one movie night each month, all of which will feature kick-ass female characters (and food). 

Some of our movies have already been selected, but email eritz@hamilton.edu if you have any suggestions!

Emma Ritz

Hamilton '20

Emma Ritz is a Junior at Hamilton College in New York, majoring in world politics.