This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hamilton chapter.
  1. Join as many clubs as you can

Volunteer, join a sport, do debate, write for a publication. Join something you enjoyed in high school AND pick something totally random that you have no experience with! While it is important to focus on your classes, one of the best ways to meet people at Hamilton is to join clubs and organizations. Join as many as you can, and then continue with the ones that you actually like.

1. Enjoy the food

If you`re a Jan, chances are you are pretty sick of your own cooking, and most transfers seem to agree that the food at Hamilton is pretty awesome compared to other institutions. While the students who came straight here as normal freshmen love to gripe about the offerings at Commons and McEwen, Jans/transfers know the truth. We at Hamilton are pretty lucky. The food isn’t perfect, but it’s pretty good. And best of all, we don’t have to cook ourselves!

1. Accept invitations

If people invite you places, go! This is no time to be shy. The Hamilton community is exceedingly friendly and will embrace you if you let them.

1. Take advantage of the resources Hamilton offers

Are you struggling with math, languages, writing, or oral communications? Hamilton offers help in all of these areas. Don’t be afraid to make an appointment, or think that you have to make the adjustment without any assistance. Hamilton can be difficult if you came from a less academically rigorous environment, and many people have a bumpy transition. Do your grades a favor and don’t be afraid to ask for help. Everyone rises to the challenge eventually but you can make your first semester a lot easier on yourself by utilizing the resources on campus.

Emma Ritz

Hamilton '20

Emma Ritz is a Junior at Hamilton College in New York, majoring in world politics. 
Allison Donlan

Hamilton '18

.