Simple Ways to Transition to a Plant-Based Diet

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Vegetarianism, veganism, and other degrees of plant-based diets have been seeing a major rise in popularity since 2010, and for good reason. By now you have all probably heard of some of the benefits associated with adopting a plant-based diet: decreased risk of heart disease, better weight management, and decreased rate of deforestation. Whether they be for health, physical, environmental, or moral reasons, integrating plant-based foods into your diet really does help more than harm. I’m not suggesting you go cold-turkey and renounce all animal products, though. That would be hypocritical of me. However, why not at least try to make some baby steps? Here are some easy ways to help you transition into a more plant-based lifestyle…

Switch to Non-Dairy Milk

Non-dairy milks have recently become a staple in the United States, and with countless varieties on the market like almond milk, oat milk, and coconut milk, you are bound to find one that you love. Personally, I love Silk Unsweetened Vanilla Almondmilk. So the next time you make a bowl of cereal or grab a cup of coffee, just opt out of the milk!

Slowly Reduce Your Meat Consumption

If meat is a substantial part of your diet, start slow and cut out meat once a week. From there, work your way to 2 to 4 times per week until you are comfortable eliminating it from your diet completely. You might also want to consider first eliminating the types of meat you usually avoid. If you do find yourself craving meat however, you’re in luck! Living in DC provides us with unique access to delicious meat substitutes such as the Faux Joe burger from Beefsteak, or the impossible burger from Founding Farmers.

Cook With Your Friends

Everything in life is easier when you have a supportive friend at your side, so why should this transition be any different? Invite your friends over to cook dinner to keep yourself (and them) excited about becoming plant-based!

Enjoy Your Food

Just because you don’t eat animal products does not mean your food shouldn’t make you happy. Find foods that you love and incorporate them into your meals. Remember, plant-based doesn’t mean just fruits and veggies either, so don’t deprive yourself of treats. P.S. Oreos are vegan!

Brianna is a freshman at the George Washington University, majoring in International Affairs. She is originally from Gilroy, California. In her free time, she can be found watching the "Great British Baking Show," and exploring DC with her friends.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.