This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Since the start of 2020, it has felt like various influencers, beauty bloggers and social media campaigns have declared 2020 as the year of “self-care.” With the concept of self-care becoming what feels like a trend, it’s easy to forget why we should prioritize self-care amidst our chaotic, busy lives. Don’t get me wrong, I think it is awesome that there is a growing amount of self-care content on the internet and social media. But I think it is important to remember that self-care isn’t just a trend that fades with time. To me, self-care is a habitual process that takes various forms depending on your circumstance, mood, and state of mind. Even if it’s just five minutes out of your day, taking time to reset your mind and body can make a difference in your studies, stress levels and overall day. Incorporating it into a routine also creates discipline and a sense of healthy habit.

With the growth of content, there’s a lot of body products being released and it can feel like an overwhelming amount of possibilities. As a chronic impulse buyer, I’ve learned that it is financially unrealistic to buy every new face mask and lotion under the sun. So, I curated a collection of affordable and reliable products that I know will help calm my mood or help my body in some way. By sticking to this list, I’m less likely to impulsively buy other products while still getting the same result. So here is my top five self-care items:

1. Lush’s Sleepy Body Lotion/Shower Gel

For me, falling and staying asleep has been a challenge of mine since high school. Lush’s lavender “sleepy” collection is by-far the BEST lavender product I’ve ever used. I put this on right before bed and the smell lasts through my sleep. It feels light but still effectively moisturizes my hands and arms while helping me fall asleep. Another added plus: it is vegan and is primarily made up of natural ingredients giving a fresh feel to my skin instead of a lot of chemicals. Find the lotion here for $9.95 (3.1 oz) or $19.95 (7.4 oz)

2. Bath & Body Works Aromatherapy Collection

I first discovered this collection last summer and immediately was determined to have the entire collection. While I am far from completing that goal, I highly recommend this collection for its variety of moods and scents. Their “moods” include stress relief, love, comfort, energy, and sleep. Each scent comes in a lotion, candle, body/hand soap, fragrance, and pillow spray. I have the eucalyptus tea body soap, lotion and pillow mist which all smell AMAZING and last for a long time. The mist and body soap scents also clear sinuses and help body aches while in the shower. Find them here. Prices range from $6 to $25 but I believe they have their semi-annual sale so catch it while you can!

3. American Eagle’s CBD Skin-Care Collection: Mood

This past Fall, American Eagle released a skin-care line of 45 products including body lotion, lip balm, muscle balm, aromatherapy oil, pillow mist, and face oil. Each includes aromatherapy and CBD oil to help users achieve a certain “mood.” The moods are chill, Zzz (sleep), refreshed, soothed and focused. I’m currently using the soothed muscle balm which features fresh eucalyptus to rub onto body aches. For being only $20, I was very impressed by the balm’s ability to numb my neck and backaches while also not leaving a sticky residue. I also like that it absorbs pretty quickly into the skin. Check out the collection here. Prices range from $7.95 to $19.95.

4. Woolzies Essential Oils

As a kid, I hated the feeling of oil. It felt like a slimy liquid that never really washed off. Within the last year, I decided to give oils another chance after years of boycotting. Given an oil diffuser at Christmas, I began to experiment with different oil brands. After many trials, Woolzies produced the richest and most effective results. If you don’t know about Woolzies, they have practically every scent you could imagine from rose to grapefruit to sandalwood. I recently purchased their premium selection of six for $15 at TjMaxx and the oil scents last longer in the diffuser and quickly absorb into your skin. My favorite of the collection is head relief because of its ability to relieve tension quicker than most medicines I’ve tried. Each oil has a different wellness goal such as “breathe” or “sleep,” and each scent is very unique in comparison to each other. Check out their oils here. If you buy the packs on Amazon, they run from about $15 to $30 dollars.

5. Yogi Honey Lemon Throat Comfort Tea

My last recommendation is the Yogi Honey Lemon Throat Comfort Tea. I know what you’re thinking; this is something you’d drink only when you’re sick. I thought so too at first. But I wasn’t going to let the extras go to waste after my cold went away. I began drinking the tea before bed and it gave my body and throat a warming sensation. I recommend this for going to bed or just a simple recharge of your body. Find it on Amazon for only $6.99.

While every self-care routine is different, I hope these products can be a starting step to establishing a personalized routine of your own. Discipline yourself to stick to these routines even if the trend falls out of style. Happy self-caring :)

From Stonington, Connecticut, Miranda is a senior at GW majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications with a minor in Creativity, Innovation and Entrepreneurship. Miranda dreams of starting her own beauty, lifestyle and self-help magazine. In her free time, Miranda can be found writing on her blog, acting with GW student theatre or reading crime fiction.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.