How You & Your Diet Can Survive the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Starbucks is sporting their red cups, the weather in DC has dropped below forty degrees, and Uggs can be spotted all over campus. This can only mean one thing: it’s officially holiday season. Just because it’s the season to indulge, your hard earned bod doesn’t have to be compromised! Follow these few simple tips and you’ll be able to survive the holiday season guilt-free!

1. Drink plenty of water!

Drinking a glass of water before and after a meal can prevent over eating as well as help with digestion. Want to vamp up your metabolism while you’re at it? Throw in some ice cubes! The body often confuses dehydration with hunger; so make sure you’re drinking between two to three liters of water every day.

2. Keep portion size in mind!

If your family is anything like mine, holidays mean one thing: buffets – and if you’re anything like me, your plate is piled high before you even get to the end of the buffet line. Keep portion sizes in mind and you can eat a well-balanced meal, even if its buffet style! Any meat or fish should be a 3-ounce portion, which is roughly the size of a deck of cards. Grains and starches should be consumed in half-cup portions, about the size of a standard light bulb. Load up the rest of your plate with vegetables and you’re good to go!

3. Take a walk after large meals.

Instead of giving in to the urge to nap after your Thanksgiving feast, get out and get moving instead! Even if you just do a few laps around the neighborhood, this will help with digestion – and it makes room for dessert! Pace is the key here. This isn’t an ideal time to do sprints or interval training; instead aim for a brisk walking pace.

4. Balance out large meals with smaller ones.

If you know that you’re going to be eating a huge Thanksgiving meal – which I hope you are – make sure to balance out the rest of your meals for that day. Have a small, super healthy breakfast and try to snack on vegetables throughout the day. My breakfast of choice is a protein packed egg white omelet with spinach. Make sure you don’t skip meals either; this will lead to over-eating later on.

5. Don’t be afraid to indulge!

Remember, everything in moderation – even your diet! Don’t be afraid to have an extra scoop of ice cream with your pumpkin pie or go back for seconds of mashed potatoes. Indulge, and feel good about it! Treating yourself during the holiday season won’t undo all the hard work you’ve put into your diet all year.

As long as you follow these few simple tips, you (and your waistline) will make it through the holidays no problem. Tis the season, collegiettes! Enjoy and good luck with finals!

Sources: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283, http://www.webmd.com/diet/healthtool-portion-size-plate