The Holidays After an Eating Disorder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

As the first snow brings it’s cold winds and shorter days, it also brings the much anticipated holiday season. Getting cozy by the fire, seeing family you haven’t seen for months- whether intentionally or not-, and, more often than not, copious amounts of food. For most people, this yearly indulgence may come with a few more trips to the gym or a little bit of intermittent fasting in attempt to keep off the dreaded holiday pudge that comes along with all the Christmas cookies and three helpings of mashed potatoes. But for some, being surrounded by all this food is more than just a tad overwhelming, it’s scary.

When you’ve had an eating disorder, food is not your friend. And whether you have recovered from an ED or are still fighting with the symptoms, it’s something that never really goes away. You see each buttered roll as more than just a fluffy piece of bread that pairs well with leftover turkey. It’s 100 calories of carbs, sugar, and fat that will take a lot more than just a few extra laps around the track to burn off. While the calories may be gone, the guilt of knowing what you ate during the holidays doesn’t go away that easily. You want to enjoy these occasions with your loved ones are, and be surrounded by the comfort these foods bring.

The only advice I can give someone who is struggling around the holiday season is to not let your thoughts control you. It is okay to eat. Your body needs it. It’s okay to have an extra slice of pie. You can totally have a big scoop of stuffing and cover it in gravy. Do your best to be in the moment, eat mindfully, and enjoy the holiday season as much as you can. It’s hard, but it will be worth it.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.