Environmental Trends You Should Try

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Young people get a lot of hate these days. Older generations shame those below them for everything that goes on in the world, from politics to the housing market to “killing” the napkin industry. However, I think these younger generations are actually pretty good, especially when it comes to the environment. In recent years, there have been several environmental trends that have become popular, and I wanted to highlight some of those cool trends. Maybe you will even be inspired to try one!

1. Environmentally Friendly Businesses

A recent survey by SurveyMonkey showed that shoppers are more likely to spend their money on pricer, but better quality items, that are good for the environment. This leads to businesses finding it in their best interest to reduce their carbon footprint and work towards being more sustainable. So, being earth-friendly really is a competitive advantage. Consider looking into how environmentally-friendly a brand is before you shop.

2. Thrifting

More and more shoppers nowadays have been leaving big commercialized malls and instead shopping for their clothes at thrift stores. An article in Eluxe Magazine reported that ⅓ women shopped for thrifted clothing last year, and that number is quickly rising. I personally have been on board with this trend, and have committed to only buying second-hand clothing for all of 2018 (read about it here!).

3. No-Waste Lifestyle

You may have seen photos of people who can fit all their garbage from the last year inside a mason jar. This zero-waste trend has been growing in the last year, and it takes a lot of dedication. If you are interested in starting this lifestyle, remember that it doesn’t happen overnight and there are little changes you can make overtime that help the earth. If you are interested, you can read more about starting the no-waste lifestyle here.  

4. Eating for the Environment

Some commit to a full-on vegan lifestyle while others adopt a “meatless Monday”‒regardless, both of these are steps towards becoming a more-environmentally friendly eater. According to an article by EcoWatch, the amount of energy, water, and food that raising livestock requires is astronomical. So, eating more fruits and veggies helps not only your body, but the Earth, too.  

5. Giving up (insert item here).

From straws to coffee cups to disposable menstrual products, people have been pledging to replace often-trashed items with more sustainable alternatives. If you are looking to make a small lifestyle change that will have a big impact, consider giving something up: whether it be plastic bags, bottled water, or packaged foods, your commitment will make a difference.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.