This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

This year, my goal was to stop buying new clothing.

Yes, you heard me right: no more scoring good deals at the mall, no more impulse-buying Target sweaters, and no more splurging on Francescas’ dresses. And overall, the experience has been both eye-opening and rewarding.

My idea was sparked from watching a Netflix documentary, The True Cost, which explores how low-cost fashion comes at a high price for the sweatshop workers making the clothes. I realized that if we keep buying cheap clothing, we are directly saying that safe work conditions don’t matter to us as much as a good deal. I thought, why am I supporting this?

With a little more research, I learned just how wasteful the “fast fashion” industry is. I discovered (through a really well-made infographic from UsAgain) that the average American throws out 65 pounds of textile waste each year, and that the average t-shirt wastes more than 700 gallons of water during manufacturing. The facts piled up in my mind, and I knew it was time for me to rethink my clothing choices.

So, I decided to cut new clothing out of my life and only shop second-hand. And it’s been a lot easier than I initially thought: you can still be fashionable, and it’s so much better for your wallet.

To get the best shopping experience, I go into thrift shops knowing what I want. I’ll think, “I’d like a cute flannel” or “I need a pair of jeans.” I am always able to find what I need this way. I also use Pinterest to search for cute outfits before I go, to get inspiration and see how to wear different pieces.

I get my work clothes from the thrift store, too. This is easier for me than most people (because I wear scrubs to work) but if you need dress pants or nice blouses, you can find those, too.

You can also use online thrift shops if you’re looking for something really specific. I haven’t explored this option a lot yet, but I have been on a hunt for the perfect pair of cute hiking boots, so this may be my next stop.

Overall, I think the outcome of this year will teach me that I never needed new clothing in the first place. I find so many cute, unique fashion pieces at thrift stores, I have more fun shopping now, and I feel good knowing that I am helping the earth. I would recommend everyone to consider moving towards second-hand only clothing, and change the way you see fashion.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.