9 Tips to Have the Happiest of Skin This Winter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Everybody loves having happy and healthy skin at all times. When the winter months roll around, sometimes it is tough to keep your skin soft and glowing. Here are a nine tips on how to prevent your skin from becoming dry and sad this winter.

1. Drink water!

If you are going only to do one thing from this list, this is the most important. It is so simple, too!

2. Wash your face with lukewarm water.

When you use a face mask or a cleanser, use lukewarm water rather than cold or hot to help lock in the moisture.

3. Moisturize after washing your skin.

Always, always, always.

4. Plug in a humidifier.

Humidifiers are usually not that expensive, and they make your room so much less dry! They not only help your breathing and to not wake up with a scratchy throat each morning in the winter, but they help keep your skin fresh and moisturized as well! Definitely worth the investment.

5. Find a cleanser that is more moisturizing/hydrating.

Believe it or not, many cleansers dry out your skin like crazy. Make sure to check your cleanser’s ingredients, and if it contains glycolic or salicylic acid, you should rotate to a more hydrating/moisturizing option for the winter months. I love all of the Aveeno cleansers, especially the “Positively Radiant Cleanser.”

6. Moisturize before bed.

Slather on that deep moisturizer before bed and you’ll thank yourself in the morning. I currently use POND’S Dry Skin Cream. It works so well and is only about $6!

7. Invest in a hydrating face mask.

Nothing is better than relaxing in your room while doing a face mask. Just make sure it’s a hydrating one during the winter months.

8. Pat your skin dry after a shower and moisturize.

Instead of rubbing off with a towel after a shower, dab instead. This allows you to leave little extra moisture from the water on your skin. To keep your skin even more moisturized after a shower, add some lotion to your skin right away!

9. Stay away from super hot baths/showers.

Hot water and body wash/cleansers wash away your skin’s natural oils.

Hey, I'm Corbyn Jenkins! I am a Junior at Gustavus Adolphus College majoring in English & minoring in Film & Media Studies. In my free time I enjoy art, photography, exploring, going to concerts, and spending time with my friends and family.