This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you get bored with your style every couple of months. In the past, my simple solution to this problem would be to either get a new piercing or dye my hair a different color. After going through most of the rainbow and running out of places to pierce that won’t cause my parents to totally flip, I’ve settled on a couple ways to change up your look–without getting too crazy.

1. Cut your hair

To some, this may seem crazy, but it’s a simple way to mix things up. I’ve had long hair for many years, and have recently cut 11 inches off, mostly for something different. It’s almost freeing going from super long hair to relatively short hair. Plus, you won’t have to use as much conditioner! If you’re not into cutting off several inches, a routine trim is always refreshing.

2. Paint your nails a funky color

Hear me out: this simple trick can really change up your whole vibe. I went from never painting my nails to painting them a bright blue, and I’ve gotten so many compliments on it! Try a flashy red, a neon color, or a bold black to change up your vibe and add a simple spice to any look.

3. Invest in a cool, unique clothing item

Whether it be a flashy jacket, or a funky pair of sneakers you’ve had your eye on, adding a new statement piece to your wardrobe can transform your whole look. Windbreakers in neon colors are trendy recently, but if that’s not your thing, try a fuzzy fur coat or a denim jacket with a bunch of patches. You can throw on your statement item at any time to go from blah to voila!

4. Amp up your eyebrows

Nothing makes you feel more at ease than having well groomed eyebrows. By tweezing any extra stray hairs and filling in your brows for a bold, shaped finish, you’ll transform any makeup look to create a more dramatic and glam feel. Oftentimes, when I’m feeling too lazy to do all my makeup, I just fill in my brows and make them look clean. This frames your face and makes you look more awake and put together!

5. Switch your hair part

This tip almost seems overly simple, but switching your hair part from one side to the other can totally transform your look. You hair will have tons of volume, and by adding in a few cute braids or some texturizing spray, you’ll have messy chic locks that will keep you looking cool for any event.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.