This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

With the rise of extensive skin-care regimens, in-depth makeup routines, and vast beauty product collections, we need to be wary of the different ingredients and chemicals we are putting on our bodies. Many people think that it is necessary to obtain a wide variety of skincare, hair care, and oral hygiene products. Let’s quickly talk about why this is not the case: the more chemicals you add to your routine, the more you are potentially stripping your body of its natural oils.

For example, hair breakage usually occurs from the mistreatment of hair, and that doesn’t always mean neglecting it completely. Over-processing your hair is the main cause of breakage and damage. This is because most of the accessible, affordable products we use contain chemicals that strip the hair of its natural oils and leave it vulnerable to damage from the sun, climate changes, and other products we dump onto our hair. Try to stay away from hair care products with sulfates and parabens. A way that you can safely do this is by making your own shampoo and conditioner. I know, I know, “SAY WHAT?!” However, this actually works.

To make your shampoo, here is what you will need:

1 cup of pure liquid castile soap

1 tablespoon of olive oil

1 teaspoon of honey

1 cup of green tea

To make your conditioner, here is what you will need:

2 ½ cups of hot water

½ cup apple cider vinegar

¼ sprig of rosemary

Any bag of herbal tea (so you smell goooood)

At first, you might not be sure about the way it makes your hair feel, but give it time. Your hair just needs to adjust to the new changes and soon it will thank you!

Another product that you should consider replacing is your facial scrub. Here’s what happens with a scrub with chemicals: the tiny beads or flecks can cause micro-abrasions to your skin and then chemicals and bacteria can get into those tiny cuts (which could cause acne!) Try something like a sugar scrub instead!

All you need is:

Sugar (or substitute coffee grounds)

Coconut oil

Honey

Both the sugar and the coffee ground scrubs will help you to have a glowing complexion while remaining chemical free. If you want it to last long, store it in the fridge.

For a beauty hack that replaces expensive, acne clearing oil treatments, just follow this two-ingredient recipe:

Tea-tree oil

Aloe vera

Mix these ingredients together and apply to the face. Use this before bed for an acne-clearing, redness soothing oil treatment. This is my favorite recipe because it is so quick and easy and it does wonders for your skin. It feels so refreshing for before I go to sleep at night.

Most of these ingredients are multipurpose ingredients, so you can use them all over your body for different purposes. Once you get the hang of making shampoos, conditioners, facial scrubs, or oil treatments, you can try making hair masks, nail treatments, and more. That is what is so great about using all-natural products, they are so versatile and wonderful for your health!