alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Small Self Care Things to do this Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

With summer usually comes a little bit of destressing from the school year. Even so, working 40-50 hours a week and preparing, yet again, for one more year of classes and internships can take a toll on your health, even in the warm summer days. Here are a few small things to do in summer to help you really relax when you have the time.

1. Stop wearing makeup. Your skin will thank you, as will your self confidence. You look great, trust me.

2. Wake up before 9am every morning. Just because you’re not scheduled to work until 3pm, doesn’t mean you need to sleep until 2:30. Get up and get your day started.

3. Go for a walk every day. Breathe in the fresh air. It’s not long until it’ll be too cold to enjoy.

4. Say yes to as many plans as possible. Take time for yourself, but don’t be afraid to stay up a little later than you’re used to in order to catch up with some old friends. You won’t regret it.

5. Take it easy on the alcohol. With summer comes those fun days at the beach, sometimes involving a sugary, ice cold alcoholic beverage to accompany it. Try for something lighter, like the oh-so-famous Whiteclaw, or skip the booze altogether. Regular water is way more refreshing, anyways.

6. Don’t focus on having a summer fling. Life is not like those cheesy Netflix originals, as much as we want it to be. If it happens, cool. If it doesn’t, even better.

7. Take up a new hobby. Break out the paint set that’s been sitting in the back of your closet since high school. Finally learn to play the ukelele you got for Christmas 6 years ago (this is directed towards me, specifically). Learn something new. Feel good about it.

8. Wear comfy, breezy clothes. Let your skin feel the sun and the air. 

9. Save some money in every way possible. Make iced coffee at home instead of going to Starbucks. Save $5, save a plastic cup, all around a good choice.

10. Enjoy every moment. If you’re like me, this time next year you’ll be graduating college. Take one last summer to allow yourself to be a kid as much as possible. Things are about to get really real, really fast. At least that’s what they tell me.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.