rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
rodion kutsaev 8P uQaTd8rw unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness > Mental Health

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Lemonade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

“When life gives you lemons, make lemonade” is a phrase used to encourage optimism in the face of misfortune. Life isn’t always easy, and sometimes, things just don’t go according to plan. When life gets tough, it’s very easy to get frustrated and develop a pessimistic mindset. Although it can be tempting to lean into our pessimistic tendencies, a positive way of thinking is much more beneficial. Here are five tips that can help cultivate optimism. 

1) Practice Gratitude 

One of the first steps to becoming more positive is to be grateful for everything that we currently have. While striving for our dreams, it’s also important to be grateful for what we have in the present. Personally, I love to journal, so whenever I think of something that I am grateful for, I will write it down in my journal. Whenever I’m feeling down, I will take a look at my journal to remind myself of all the great things I have in life. 

2) Surround Yourself with Positivity 

One of the best ways to stay positive is to put yourself in a positive environment. You could do this by surrounding yourself with other optimists. Furthermore, instead of surrounding yourself with negative things on the internet, try to find more positive things to read or watch. 

3) Take Care of Yourself 

It’s important to feel good mentally and physically. Self-care routines are important and can help improve your outlook on life. Taking the time to focus on yourself and let your brain rest will be beneficial to your mental and physical health. Getting enough sleep, nutrition, and exercise are all important when it comes to self-care. 

4) “Me” Time 

Life gets busy, and sometimes it gets so busy that we forget to do the stuff we enjoy. Remember to dedicate some time to yourself and do the things that you’re passionate about. Whether that’s reading, writing, or working out, never forget to do what makes you happy. 

5) Thinking About Solutions 

A lot of times when I encounter a difficult task or a challenge in my life, I’m very tempted to avoid it. Recently, I’ve realized that the best way to approach these challenges is to face them head on. This definitely takes a lot more brain power and motivation, but once you find the right solutions to your problems, it’ll all be worth it. I always like to remind myself that challenges are learning opportunities in life, and we can only grow from experiencing them.

Angel Su

Guelph '20

I'm a third year at the University of Guelph studying biomedical sciences. I love playing the piano/violin, and drinking tea. I also enjoy reading, writing, and colouring during my spare time.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!