Life > Experiences

The Types of Roommates you Could Live With in Residence

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Unless you’re one of the lucky few who scores a single room, it’s likely that you’re going to have a roommate when living on residence. As someone who spent first year living with three other roommates, followed by a house in second year with an entirely new group, I’ve seen almost every type of roommate you can imagine. Based on my own experiences, as well as some stories I’ve heard from my friends, the following article will tell you about every kind of roommate you might get paired up with. 

The Best Friend 

Everyone dreams of getting this roommate, but only few are lucky enough to experience it. From the moment you walk into your room on move-in day, you know they are the one. Your best friend. Your soul sister. The perfect, mirror-image of you, who happens to share your clothing size and love of the same Netflix series. Your room is a Pinterest heaven of matching colours. Your friendship is reminiscent of Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie circa 2003. She hand-crafts every text message that you send to the cute boy who lives upstairs. She cries with you when previously mentioned cute boy is being an a**hole. You are absolutely inseparable: you attend each other’s classes, you eat every meal together, you make plans to be in each other’s weddings. And then, you get into an argument about something stupid and never speak to each other again. It was fun while it lasted! 

The Party Animal 

This roommate will guarantee that Frosh week is hands-down the best week of your life. They will make sure you attend every event during the day, and they know where the parties are going to be every night….and then the novelty quickly wears off when it’s midterm season and they are still going out at least five nights a week. It’s nice to know you’ll always have weekend plans when you need them, but sometimes you don’t want to be woken up at 2 in the morning on a Tuesday when you have class at 8. Also, how can they afford to go out so much? Aren’t we all supposed to be broke students? 

The Hoarder 

You’ll often find yourself wondering why this roommate hasn’t been offered a brand deal from Domino’s yet, because their room contains more pizza boxes than textbooks. It also has more plates than textbooks. And more forks than textbooks. Actually, their room is just a mountain of dishes. Well, it’s more like a small hill of dishes compared to the kitchen sink. And the kitchen counter. And the kitchen table. WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR YOU TO JUST DO YOUR DISHES? 

The Mom 

Similar to the “mom-friend” that everyone knows and loves, the mom roommate makes you feel like you never left home. She’s always there to offer you advice, give you words of encouragement, and remind you that you can’t survive on pizza alone and maybe it’s time to eat an actual vegetable. If it wasn’t for the mom roommate, you would have forgotten to set your alarm for that 8am exam. Thank you, mom roommate. 

The Neat Freak 

Like the mom roommate, but significantly less welcoming. You’ll never forget about washing those dishes you left in the sink, because they will remind you about it loud and clear every 15 minutes until you clean them. They are the best at leaving passive aggressive notes all over the room instead of actually doing something to solve the problem. At least you’ll never have to worry about cleaning the bathroom, because they have already done it (and is currently writing an angry text to the group chat about how lazy and inconsiderate you are as you read this). Who needs to waste money on air fresheners when the room constantly smells like bleach? 

The Ghost 

This roommate is both a blessing and a curse. A blessing because you basically have the room to yourself, but a curse because they’ll scare the crap out of you when they appear out of nowhere. You’ll be grateful to live relatively drama-free, but only because they’re literally never there. The only reason you’re confident that they haven’t dropped out yet is because occasionally you’ll find leftovers in the fridge. Wait, how old are these leftovers? Did they drop out yet?

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!