This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As February comes around we all find ourselves surrounded by varying hues of red and pink and every manner of heart and cute “I love you” sentiment imaginable. Some people find this overwhelming, but no matter what your relationship status this Valentine’s Day, we can all agree that the amount of chocolate and candy we find ourselves surrounded by is reason enough to get excited- and making your own chocolate treats is so much fun! So whether you want to pull a few of these recipes out to surprise your significant other, or if you want to have a chocolate making party with your friends, these are sure to please every chocolate fanatic in your life.

Homemade peanut butter cups

Source

Ingredients:

1. ½ cup icing sugar
  2. 1 cup peanut butter
  3. 1 cup milk chocolate chips
  4. 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips

Other materials:

• Mini cupcake pan
  • Mini cupcake liners
  • Enough fridge or freezer space to chill your peanut butter cups

Take your milk chocolate and your semi-sweet chocolate chips and melt them using a double boiler. Add half of your peanut butter and stir until they are fully combined. Line your mini cupcake pan with the liners and fill them up halfway with your chocolate mix. Put them in the fridge until they set.

For the filling, take the rest of your peanut butter and your icing sugar and mix them together until they are thoroughly combined. Take your cupcake pan out of the fridge and add a small ball of peanut butter filling into each liner. Cover this completely with another layer of your chocolate mix and put them back in the fridge to set up. Once they’re done- just unwrap and enjoy! 

Chocolate Strawberry Roses

Source

Ingredients:

1. Fresh strawberries
  2. 100 g Candy Melts
  3. 2 tsp Corn syrup
  4. White chocolate chips as needed

Other materials:

• Cake pop sticks
  • Non-stick baking paper

The night before, take your candy melts and melt them in a double boiler. Take your corn syrup and warm it up slightly. Add about 1 tsp of your melted candy melts into your corn syrup and then combine this mixture into the rest of the melted candy melts. Stir these until they are just combine- don’t overwork it! Leave this at room temperature overnight. When you’re ready, heat it up for 15 seconds in the microwave or until it is pliable.

Now wash your strawberries and take the leaves off- but save the leaves for later so try and get them off in one piece if you can. Next, melt your white chocolate chips in a double boiler. Take your cake pop sticks and dip one end in the melted white chocolate. Stick this end into the strawberry and put these in the fridge to set. Once they’re set, dip the strawberries into white chocolate and put them in the fridge. Take your modeling chocolate and make as many small balls as you want petals. Use a rolling pin and non-stick baking paper to make these into the desired shape. Take the petals and press them onto the chocolate strawberry.

Finally, take the leaves from the strawberries and gently stick them to the bottom of your rose with melted white chocolate.

Simple Chocolate Truffles

Source

Ingredients:

1. 3 cups of semi-sweet chocolate chips
  2. 1 ½ cups of heavy cream
  3. Finely chopped nuts/cocoa powder (or really whatever you want to use for a topping!)

Heat your heavy cream in a pot until it is warm- but not boiling. Add in your chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour the mix into a container and put in the fridge to set up. When it is solid enough for you to handle, take it out of the fridge. Using a spoon, take a bit of the chocolate and roll it in your hands to form a ball. Roll in your topping of choice and keep them chilled until you’re ready to serve. 

Arts and Sciences at Guelph. Interdisciplinary and loving it. 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!