Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Girl Reading A Book In Bed
Breanna Coon / Her Campus
Culture > News

Things You Can Do Instead Of Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

While it’s important to catch up on your studying and get your assignments done, it’s also important to take a break and take care of yourself.  Enjoy your break this reading week by taking a day or two, or just a few hours,  off to relax and refresh. If you don’t take a break this reading week you risk burning out before exam block. Here are ten things you can do instead of studying this reading week. 

1. Pamper Yourself 

Stay in and pamper yourself with face masks or take a long bath. Looking after yourself on the outside will make you feel better on the inside. 

2. Read A Book 

Reading a book, it’s on the  long list of things students never feel they have time to do. So take reading week as an opportunity to sit down and step into someone else’s shoes for a bit. Don’t fall into the trap of thinking you have to read something intellectual, either. Harry Potter is always good no matter how many times you’ve read it. 

3. Journal Writing 

It sounds cheesy but reflecting back on the first half of semester will help clear your mind for the second half. If writing an entire journal entry is daunting,  try your hand at bullet-journaling  or create your own system. If you’re more of a creative mind, try looking up writing prompts on the internet and tackling a few. 

4. Make a Playlist of your Favourite Songs 

Taking time to listen to music in general is always worth your time. Take an hour or two to sit down and put together a playlist of your favourite songs, so you don’t have to look them up or go searching through multiple playlists to find them. 

5. Make a Folder of Dog or Cat Pictures on Instagram for When You’re Stressed 

The Instagram ‘save’ function is a game changer. Create a folder for pictures of cats or dogs that you can look at when you’re sad, stressed, or just need a little pick-me-up. 

6. Go See A Movie Or Binge Netflix 

Take advantage of student prices while you can and go see a movie this reading week. If you’re not looking to leave the house, binge watch Netflix instead.  

7. Take The Bus To Toronto For The Day 

Make use of having a full day off from classes at your disposal and head into Toronto for the day. Greyhounds from the UC are cheap and accessible, and there’ s plenty of things to do once you’re there.  

8. Have A Snow Day 

If we’re blessed with any snow this reading week, take the opportunity to spend the day outside. Snowball fights, snowman building, tobogganing (that hill by the fields next to the arboretum is just begging to be used) or just a walk through the arboretum. Speaking as someone originating from a place where it never snows, you really need to appreciate snow when you get it.   

9. Exercise 

Exercise doesn’t always mean going to the gym and getting on the treadmill. Take baby steps by  trying an exercise class you haven’t tried before, looking up a quick yoga or pilates tutorial on YouTube,  or even just stretching  in your living room. 

Dominique is an Australian journalism student currently on exchange at the University of Guelph. She has previously worked as the editor of her Australian university's magazine and as an intern at Style Magazines. She's passionate about clean skincare, books, food and travel. You can find her on Instagram @dominiquetassell or check out her blog at www.dominiquetassell.com
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!