jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens B5sNgRtYPQ4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ten Things A Freshman Should Have in Their Backpack

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s hard to judge what kind of supplies you’ll need for classes. Every class has different requirements, but this list has all the daily necessities. Word of advice: don’t bring your textbooks to class unless they’re used for the lesson! 

1. Pencil Case. This one is pretty straight forward. Some classes will require you to write your notes by hand, or you might simply find it easier to do so. I personally found that any classes that required calculations were better written down by hand. In my pencil case, I have several different coloured pens, a pencil, a ruler, sticky-notes, a calculator, and replacement lead/ink for my pens/pencils.

2. Clipboard. This is probably one of the best purchases I’ve made all year. Many of the lecture halls don’t have desks and have a very small arm-rest. The arm rests never stay completely straight, so I’d rather write on my lap. The clipboard allows me to bring lined paper inside for my notes while acting as a flat surface to write on. You can show your school pride by purchasing one from the bookstore, or from their online page here.  

3. Laptop/iPad/Tablet. Writing by hand is quite tedious and can be too slow for certain classes. When it comes to lectures with PowerPoint slides, you can use your trusted computer to take notes underneath slides. Having your electronic device on you at all times is extremely handy, especially if you want to have a quick study session in the library with friends, or are looking to write an article for HerCampus!

4. Spare chargers. Pay the extra $10 to get another phone or laptop charger. Having a spare one with you in your bag at all times will not only save you during those dire situations when your phone has 2 per cent battery power left, but will also permit you to save your friends who are in the same boat. This is very handy, especially if you’re the type of person to forget to charge your electronic devices the night before. Some lecture halls have plugs to allow you to charge such as Rozanski Hall. The library and the UC are other great locations to allow you to charge your devices!

5. Water bottle. It’s important to stay hydrated throughout the day! Water bottles aren’t purchasable on campus in order to save the environment, so having your own bottle is extremely handy. There are refillable bottle stations everywhere around campus, so you certainly won’t be left thirsty! Drinking lots of water is also very important to keeping your skin from getting dehydrated and breaking out!

6. Snack. Being hungry makes it very hard to concentrate, whether you’re studying in the library or listening to a lecture. However, be respectful to those around you! Don’t bring a snack that will disturb those around you with either its noise or smell. There’s nothing worse than a student sitting 3 rows in front of you eating a smelly, greasy pizza and making it difficult for you to concentrate! Be mindful! ☺ 

7. Student card & wallet. These two are absolute musts! Your student card will allow you to buy food or supplies around campus if you have a meal plan. It is also recommended as a piece of ID for midterms and finals, so certainly don’t forget it then! That’s also where the bus pass sticker goes, so your student card is basically your key to the city. Your wallet is also handy as if you don’t have a meal plan, you’ll still be able to buy things on campus if you’re in a pinch. It’s always just good to have money on you in case of emergencies!

Emilie Kelly is the University of Guelph's Chapter Co-Correspondent! She is a Phase 1 OVC student who loves to spend her time with horses, cats, dogs, cows; you name it! (That does indeed make her an Aggie!) You can contact her in French, English, or even Japanese. 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!