This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s no surprise that as soon as a new semester begins, our work begins to pile up and we feel ourselves getting overwhelmed sooner than we should be. To prevent ourselves from getting stressed out quickly and worrying about everything, we have to start taking action to make sure that we stay sane. Small changes in our day can make a big difference in our overall lifestyle and could help us feel much better. Plus we could potentially bring down our stress levels and increase our motivation! Here are some easy and simple ways to help maintain your mental health early on in the semester. 

1. Take a walk  

Honestly, a walk during heavy snow isn’t the most ideal but, even a small walk just gets you out of the house and the feel of the fresh air can positively impact your health. You can take a walk any time during the day that works best for you but at the end of the walk, you’ll feel so fresh and it’ll definitely increase your motivation.  

1. Finding time in your day to do something you enjoy  

Hobbies and side hustles are great options of things you can do in your day as a break from your studies. If you feel like you don’t have a set hobby, this is a great time to take some time from your day and try something new! Hobbies are a great distraction and can help you gain inspiration when you need it.  

1. Affirmations  

Daily affirmations are so helpful to your mental health. They not only set you up for a productive day ahead but, also help you feel more at ease and can decrease anxiety levels. Taking five minutes out of your day and writing down your affirmations or saying them out loud can help.  

If you are struggling with your mental health, you can always reach out to a professional at your local student health center or call a toll-free mental health first aid line like Kids Help Phone. We hope this list gives you some ideas of how to take care of your mental health this semester!

Mehak is a fourth-year biomedical science major at the University of Guelph.
Guelph Chapter's Co-Campus Coordinator! I'm your first line of contact if you have any questions about the Guelph Her Campus Chapter or our content. Please feel free to reach out to me!