This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

In the past few years I started doing this thing where I write to myself about my present and seal the letter up and open it 4 years later.  

I started this after doing a “time capsule” project in grade 6. It became something really exciting that for each milestone birthday, I’d have a little present from myself in the past. I highly encourage everyone to try this.  

This is a great way to reflect back on your past and see the progress that you’ve achieved or the person you’ve become. It can also be a confidence booster or maybe a way to change aspects of your current life.  

There are many things you could include in this letter. Personally, I start off with where I am in my life right now in terms of work or education. I follow it up with some of the activities I like to do in my free time. Then I include a bit about my friends/family and what they’ve been up to. I also like to include some of the bigger life changing events that may have happened to me. Lastly, I finish it off with some of my future aspirations and what’s in my head currently as I write the letter.  

Overall, writing letters to yourself is a great self-reflection method. Many people keep journals to write in every day. Although I’m a fan of that too, I can’t seem to find the time to sit down and write every night. This is a great way to look back on your life in the past years and set long-term goals for yourself.  

Ara Kirtikar

Guelph '21

Living life to the fullest <3
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!