samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How to Get Organized and Stay Motivated this Year!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s a new year which means many of us may set new goals (or still be working on goals that were set last year!)  that can help make us better as a person. Common new year’s resolutions may include, eating healthy, spending more time with family, working out, spending less time on technology or becoming more social.

Every year, my new year’s resolution has been to become more organized than I have been in the past. I’m not a generally an unorganized person but I feel organization is a skill any person can improve on year after year! After all, it doesn’t hurt to be more organized. Being more organized can also lead to lasting motivation, which can help you work harder/smarter through the year.

These are some of the things that have helped me stay organized and motivated in the past and also some tips I would like to implement to better my organization skills.

Use a Planner

Using a planner helps plan out months, weeks and days. It gives a complete view of what needs to get done to ensure no deadlines are missed. It also helps to stay motivated through the day since crossing out items on the list can be so satisfying. Planners can also be fun to use! There are so many different layouts, colours and sizes. Some even come with stickers. Find a planner that motivates you to get stuff done through your day!

Write down short-term and long-term goals

Many people like to create goals for the year, but sometimes they can be easily forgotten and never be met. Writing them down and putting them somewhere visible can help you stay accountable. In addition to writing down goals, it’s also important to write down how you plan on achieving those goals and what you can do weekly or monthly to ensure you can meet your final goal at the end. These count as short-term goals. Goals can be written down in a Word Document, on sticky notes, in a planner or on a bulletin board. Remember to be realistic with your goals and timelines. Including small and short-term goals that can be accomplished easily can further motivate you, since those goals will be met sooner. Making you feel like you have accomplished something on your list!

Set Reminders

Using an app to set reminders is also an effective way to get small, sometimes meaningless tasks out of the way in your day. These can often be forgotten if you have a busy day ahead of you. Set reminders to ring in the morning so you can complete them as soon as you begin your day. Sometimes completing the small easy tasks first thing can set the right mood to tackle more tougher tasks throughout the day.

Have a binder/file organizer

Keeping a binder or file organizer to store all loose pieces of papers or documents ensures that nothing gets lost since everything stays together in one central place. Using dividers helps to section off areas and categorize each paper. For example, sections could include, bills, course outlines, university documents and personal documents.

Wake up early

Finally, one of the most important tips I have started to implement and has been helping me is waking up early! It’s amazing how much time you have in your day when you set you alarm just an hour early. Getting tasks done early morning sets a good start to the day and can also be easier than getting them done late at night. Many distractions such as phone calls, messages and social media can be easily avoided in the morning since many people aren’t awake that early. Thus, eliminating distractions while working.

I hope you found some of these tips helpful and if you are looking to get organized, start to implement any one that you found interesting! Being organized improves so many aspects of your life, from productivity to even mental health.

Ara Kirtikar

Guelph '21

Living life to the fullest <3
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!