This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Being in your 20’s is such a difficult time. Many of us are trying to figure out our career path and with that comes figuring out majors in university or college, possible internships, job potentials and trying to maintain a healthy balance that includes a social life, sleep and succeeding in whatever you choose.

Over the course of my four years at Guelph I have met some amazing people. I have developed friendships that have stuck with me to this day but I have also had some of the worst friend breakups I could imagine.

I think we can all agree that friend breakups might be the hardest thing to get over. You have shared everything with this person over the course of your friendship and now all the sudden you are no longer friends. You can no longer reach for their advice when you are in a crisis or tag them in a meme you saw on Facebook that was just so them.

Here are 5 tips to bouncing back after losing a friend:

1. Keep yourself busy

As long as you have other things on the go, it will keep you from obsessing over this loss.

2. Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and meet new people

Sometimes in a time where you think your whole life is crashing down in front of you, you’ll meet a new friend who changes everything.

3. Take it as a lesson

Make sure you learn something from this friend breakup. Whether you did something wrong or not, I promise you will be able to learn something from it. Even if the lesson you learn is that its ok to just out grow friends.

4. Take time to grieve

Like losing anyone in your life, you will need to grieve. And that is ok! But make sure you take the proper time to reminisce on the friendship when need be, but move on when you are ready and leave it all in the past! The best thing you can do at this point is keep moving forward.

5. Don’t get petty

Keep your nasty tweets, texts, Instagram and Facebook posts out of it. There is no good that will come from taking this fight elsewhere or sending them a nasty text that you know is going to hurt them. There is no need to hurt anybody, the best thing you can do is move on!

Friend breakups can often times end up being more hurtful than breakups with a significant other, and these steps totally apply if you are dealing with a s/o break up as well. But, losing a friend can feel like a huge loss, I totally get that. So just remember that there are millions of people in this world that can offer you everything that friend gave you and more. Just be open to meeting them!

Carly is in fifth year at Univeristy of Guelph studying English and Family and Child Studies. Carly has a passion for writing, travelling and family. When Carly isn't writing for Her Campus or studying you can find her playing guitar, with friends or somewhere around the globe! Follow her on Instagram @carlyholmstead 
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!