Habits to Cultivate a Healthy Mindset Throughout Seasonal Transition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As spring is settling around the corner, it isn’t unusual to experience an adjustment in not only your mood but your mindset as well. The seasonal shift entails many factors that may cause individuals to lose their focus as the semester comes to an end. At this point, it is crucial that students re-center their attention to taking care of themselves and their studies.  

Surely, habits cannot stick overnight; however, based on personal experience, starting these five simple lifestyle changes now could encourage productivity and transform the way you look at the start of each day.  

1. Buy a Schedule

One of the first things that ever reconstructed the way I tackled content-heavy weeks at university was a schedule. Creating a visual representation that outlines a plan with deadlines to complete all projects and notes was the easiest way to deal with obscuring feelings of overwhelming stress. The best part of scheduling your week is that you can make it as fun as you want! Personally, I like to colour-code mine, draw doodles, and add goals to make it reflective of my own aesthetic and style.  

2. Wake Up Earlier

This was one of the most helpful things I adapted into my daily routine in university. Surprisingly, by just waking up an hour or so earlier than normal, I have time to relax and wake up slowly and still obtain extra time to work on my studies. It is the quietest time of the day and is free from external distractions. You’ll find there is so much beauty in putting a couple of hours aside for time with yourself. You can be your favourite company! 

3. Journal

Although it is not for everyone, journaling has been so insightful and has adapted its way into my morning routine. Personally, I deal with unneeded stress and overthinking in my day-to-day life. However, journaling has offered me an outlet to put those thoughts and feelings. I was first introduced to journaling in my grade twelve Writer’s Craft class. It is an amazing way to clear your mind of any interrupting thoughts before starting your day. 

4. Spring Cleaning

As cliché as it sounds, spring cleaning is actually so valuable in response to productivity and maintaining a healthy mindset. A clean space can transform the way you feel as you sit down to either relax or do work. My favourite feeling in the spring is the smell of fresh sheets off of the clothesline and opening the window to let in the crisp air. When you have a clean space, you can turn your attention to whatever requires your focus without feeling distracted and worried about other tasks you need to complete.  

5. Get Outside

Finally, you’ve heard it a million times from your family, but get outside! It is so true that spending time outdoors has so many benefits. It not only wakes you up, but it also increases happiness, concentration, and boosts your overall mental and physical health. Even if you are busy, try switching up your setting and completing work on campus or at a park.  

Centering your mindset around healthy practices is crucial for your mental health. It is so important to look out for yourself. Let the season bring new beginnings and see how these new ideas can revitalize your overall outlook and energy.  

Carissa is a second-year Psychology student with a minor in English at the University of Guelph. She enjoys all topics related to fashion, lifestyle, and well-being. When Carissa is not writing, she can be found at a local coffee shop, scrolling on Pinterest, or hanging with her friends! Please feel free to reach out about anything through her email cwalke31@uoguelph.ca or connect through her socials down below! https://www.instagram.com/carissa.lynne/ https://www.linkedin.com/in/carissa-walker-0a87b3208
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!