This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As the warmer weather approaches, fruits and vegetables tend to be nicer and riper. In my books, this calls for fresh salads, soups, and fruity desserts! Today, I am going to be sharing this delicious fresh tomato soup recipe which perfectly pairs with a grilled cheese sandwich. Whether you will be harvesting a tomato garden in your backyard, or visiting your local farmers market, I highly recommend you grab a dozen fresh tomatoes and get started on this easy, delicious recipe! Now, get out a baking sheet, put on your apron, and get ready to have your house smelling like your grandmother’s homemade cooking (and for the neighbours to salivate outside as they smell the soup cooking). Recipe credits go to the incredible chef Laura Vitale, which can be found on her website here

Ingredients:

• 3 lbs of Fresh Plum Tomatoes, halved
  • 2 Large Shallots, peeled and quartered
  • 10 Cloves of Garlic, peeled
  • 1 cup of Fresh Basil, stems included
  • 1 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1 tsp of Sugar
  • 2 tsp of Dried Oregano
  • Pinch of Hot Pepper Flakes
  • 4 Tbsp of Olive Oil
  • 1 cup of Vegetable Stock
  • Salt and Pepper, to taste

Instructions:

1) Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.

2) In a 9×13 inch baking dish, add all your ingredients except the vegetable stock, toss all together to make sure the oil has coated all of the veggies.

3) Roast the tomatoes for about 1 hour and 15 minutes while making sure to give them a toss a couple times. (This step itself made my house smell delicious!)

4) Take the dish out of the oven. Leave the veggies to cool to room temperature, place your mixture in a blender and puree until smooth. I use the Ninja blender which created the perfect consistency for me, but if you are using a food processor or a less powerful blender, I recommend sifting your soup before serving to catch any unblended pieces.

5) Place the creamy mixture in a saucepan, add the stock (add as much as you like to make the thinness of the soup to your liking), bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 5 minutes.

6) Taste it and adjust the seasoning to your liking. To add some fresh, summery flavor, chop up some fresh basil leaves and sprinkle them on top of the soup. Serve right away with a piece of grilled cheese on the side for dunking.

7) Voila, it’s as simple as that! Enjoy.

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!