books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash
Culture > News

The First Year Guide to Surviving Midterms

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

Being a first year in university means many changes compared to life back in good old high school. One of these changes means larger exams and, midterms. Some of you have probably already had your first midterm or will very shortly have one coming up! Here are some ways to prepare for your midterms. Both physically and mentally. 

1. Remember it’s just a test 

It’s a good reminder to know that a midterm is just like any other test you may have done in high school. Yes, it may be worth significantly more, but the content on a midterm is not meant to trick you (unless you’re in CHEM 1040…). Rather, it’s meant to assess what you have learned so far in a course. So take some time to breathe and don’t let the word “Midterm Exams” scare you. Being nervous can actually lead to poor results on an exam. 

2. Break down the studying to a certain amount 

Source

It’s important to break down the studying to manageable portions so you aren’t cramming last minute. That being said, some people (including myself) like to start studying a week or two in advance. However, I ’ve come to notice that this does not actually help me do better on the exam. I tend to forget content I studied at the beginning and studying just becomes a waste of time. A good idea is to review your lecture slides/notes after each lecture so you fully understand the content and can get help on difficult topics when it’s fresh in your mind. Depending on the course, for me starting to study 5 days before the exam is ideal. That way I know I have to be productive in studying since the exam is coming up soon, I don’t forget content I learned at the beginning and I make sure to re-visit the content I started studying on day 1 of 5. 

3. Practice questions 

Source 

I can’t stress this one enough. Reading and writing just does not work in truly prepping for an exam. You need to assess what you know and what needs work on in order to effectively study. I suggest doing practice questions before reviewing notes and then going back and doing more after reviewing notes. It’s incredible how much the brain retains, and you may actually know more than you think. That way you can focus your attention on content that requires more practice.  

4. Form a study group 

Source

Studying with a group towards the end of your study schedule is a great way to understand content that you may have missed or brushed over while studying independently. This is also a great way to quiz each other and explain topics where each member can give feedback and contribute to the discussion. 

5. Relax before 

I like to go back to my notes and cram before an exam, but I make it a habit to not carry my notes to the exam and take time outside to breathe and listen to relaxing music. As you will notice or may have noticed, many people like to stand outside a lecture hall and study while waiting to get inside. I found that this stresses me out and makes me even more anxious for the exam. Not to mention that by that point, anything I study will not stick into my head. So while everyone does this, I like to stand away from the crowd and listen to music which helps to calm my nerves. 

I hope you find these strategies useful. Remember, it’s not about studying hard, but studying smart!

Ara Kirtikar

Guelph '21

Living life to the fullest <3
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!