bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Fall Roasted Carrot Soup Recipe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

As the rainy season approaches us, it’s time to pull out the Crock-Pots and teddy bear sweaters. For me, when the weather becomes cooler and darker I want to be able to cook something that will warm me up and make my taste buds dance! Below I have shared a delicious carrot soup recipe that requires minimal ingredients and time. Recipe is from the “Fine Cooking” online website.

Ingredients:

• 1 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 3-inch lengths
  • 1 Tbs. olive oil
  • 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
  • 1/2 medium onion, cut into medium dice (to yield about 3/4 cup)
  • 1 large rib celery, cut into medium dice (to yield about 1/2  cup)
  • 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger (from about 1/2-inch piece, peeled)
  • 2 cups homemade or low-salt chicken broth
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt
  • 1/8 tsp. ground white pepper
  • Chopped fresh chives or chervil for garnish (optional)

Preparation:

• Heat the oven to 375°F.
  • Put the carrots in a medium baking dish (11×7-inch is a good size, or any dish that will hold the carrots in a single layer without touching) and drizzle then toss them with the olive oil. Put them in the oven to roast for about 1 hour, stirring once halfway through roasting, until they’re tender, blistered, and lightly browned in a few place.
  • Melt the butter in a medium (at least 3-quart) heavy saucepan set over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until it’s translucent and fragrant, about 2 to 3 min. Stir in the celery and ginger and cook until the celery softens a bit and the onions start to brown, 4 to 5 min. Add the roasted carrots, chicken broth, salt, pepper, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and cover. Cook at a lively simmer until the carrots are very tender, about 45 min. Turn off the heat and let the liquid cool somewhat (or completely).
  • Purée the soup in a blender in batches, never filling the blender more than a third full, and bearing down firmly on the towel-covered lid so the soup doesn’t come flying out. If serving immediately, return the soup to the pot and reheat; garnish with the chives or chervil if you like. Otherwise, refrigerate for up to five days; reheat gently and taste for salt before serving.
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!