This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

It’s that time of year again: papers are due, presentations are happening, and there are a billion and one tiny things that need to be completed before you start studying for final exams. If you’re having difficulty getting to sleep and staying asleep at night, you’re not alone. These tips and tricks are here to help you get some much-needed shut-eye.

1. Turn off your phone, laptop, tablet, etc.

It’s recommended that you turn your electronics off at least an hour before going to bed to prevent the light they emit from keeping you up at night. I know it’s tempting to check your messages, email or the Internet one last time to see if you missed anything recently, but nine times out of ten, it can wait until tomorrow. Your sleep and health are more important. Reading a book or magazine before bed can also be relaxing, screen-free ways to decompress at the end of a long day.

2. Exercise during the day and try to avoid naps

Exercising and trying to steer clear of naps during the day are two great ways that will help ensure you are tired before you go to bed and can sleep. It’s also best to avoid napping during the late afternoon, as napping too close to your bedtime can prevent you from sleeping well at night.

3. Avoid caffeine

This one seems a bit obvious, but it is easy to drink multiple cups of coffee during the day to stay energized. If you’re feeling low on energy and looking for a caffeine-free alternative, it may help to try some fruit, such as apples, oranges, or bananas. They contain natural sugars and vitamins and will help you stay energized. Drinking caffeine during the late afternoon or evening can also prevent you from sleeping properly, and it may help to substitute this drink with something soothing and caffeine free, such as chamomile tea.

4. Make sure you are comfy

Finally, making sure you are comfy and that your room is dark can go a long way to help you get that recommended seven to eight hours of sleep per night. Buying an extra blanket to help you stay warm will definitely be a worthwhile investment if it means you like to be warm and cozy when you’re falling asleep. If your neighbours keep their outside lights on all night, it may help to buy blackout curtains or blinds, or I’ve also found that buying a piece of black bristol board a sticking it in your window (if it is small enough) also helps make sure your room is dark enough.

Good luck!

Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!