3 Things I Learned from My First Year at University

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Guelph chapter.

When I finished my first year of university, I was a little bitter. I had dreams about finding my perfect group of people, intellectually stimulating classes, and creating fun memories at every turn. However, the reality was more like way too many people for my brain to even register, huge lectures with more readings than hours in a day, and spending time with just myself each night. But the more I reflect upon my first year, I realize the mistakes that I made and what you can do instead. I know Zoom University is not what you had in mind for your ideal university experience either, but perhaps you can use some of the things I learned to make your experience the best possible.  

1. Let go of your idea of university life

Setting yourself up with such romanticized notions about the future is setting yourself up for failure. I was way too influenced by movies and tv shows about my idea of university than I care to admit. These notions that I had about forming an organic group of my people in my first year were just naive. Relationships take time and effort to form, and they are ever-evolving. You will meet lots of people in your time at university and some will stay while others won’t. So, take life as it comes and don’t try to burden it by adding your expectations.  

2. Avoid the late-night binge eating sessions 

M&Ms
Alex Frank / Spoon

Stuffing your face with a cheese pizza and garlic bread with extra cheese is okay once or twice, but it’s not the healthiest way of living. Don’t get into the habit of having pizza, chips, and ice cream every night.  Your growing brain is hard at work and it needs its proper nutrition to help you learn the best you can. My advice would be to cook your own as much as possible; it’s a great skill and it can be very therapeutic as well! If cooking is not for you, then give your body the fuel it needs during the day and avoid the temptations the night brings.   

3. The importance of networking 

group of people reading and studying together at a table
Photo by Alexis Brown from Unsplash

Don’t underestimate the power of extracurriculars. It enhances your profile and leads you to many opportunities you wouldn’t have found otherwise. University is filled with diversity and there is a place for you. Join as many clubs and events as you can, whether it is to learn a new skill, practice one that you have or just to have fun! Keeping in touch with your professors, through office hours or otherwise, is also a great way to establish a connection with them. These relationships can prove to be of great value to you, academically and otherwise.  

Starting university is daunting, but take it slow, allow yourself to take it all in, and keep your mental health a priority. Most importantly, what they say is true, it will be over before you know it, so make the most of your time here! 

Hi!I'm a nutrition student at the University of Guelph, working towards becoming a dietitian. I love food, travel and good company! I'm looking forward to pursuing another one of my passions; writing, through HerCampus!
Guelph Contributor Account for writers at the University of Guelph!