This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

We’ve heard it time and time again: “You are the company you keep.” Is it true? Are we ultimately defined by those close to us? Does being a positive person automatically attract positive friends? In my experience, you’re either being drained or uplifted by your circle. You decide who is worthy of being around you. If you need to reevaluate your circle, I’m here to help! Here are some tips to consider when choosing a friend:

That’s a bad friend gif
T.Kyle

Are They Supportive?

I’m sure we’ve all had an experience with a “bad friend.” Something to always remember is that the truth always comes to light! Red flags show up very early. Pay attention, and don’t just let them slide. Hold people accountable for their actions. 

A pretty standard requirement for a dependable friend is for them to be supportive. You deserve someone who supports you without asking. You shouldn’t have to beg your friends to support your small business. They should already do so. A supportive friend will invest in not only you but your endeavors. They will do all that they can to show that they care about what matters to you. That speaks volumes! Despite support being free, supportive friends are hard to come by. Don’t take supportive friends for granted. 

Do They Motivate You?

I love to be around people that encourage me to evolve. You know, the kind of people that inspire you to run a marathon or write a book. If your friend does not directly motivate you in some way, shape, or form, they may need to go! 

There are multiple ways of being inspired, and inspiration works both ways. You should motivate your friend as they do you and continuously encourage one another to improve. When you’re in the company of someone encouraging, you’ll wake filled with purpose every day, ready to conquer any challenge that presents itself because you’ll begin to approach everything with a growth mindset. Ultimately, a growth mindset will lead to generational blessings. Yes, a motivational friend is THAT important!

Can You Trust Them?

No relationship can hold without trust. You have to be able to trust the company you keep. Imagine having someone who you frequently see but don’t trust. Meaning you’re allowing someone access to you, but you’re unable to feel comfortable in their presence. This situation is already toxic but can become more dangerous for you. 

Trust in a friendship will make it easier for you to open up and lean on your friend in trying times. There’s a ton of power in being able to vent and release your issues or worries. It’s incredible to have someone that can actively listen to all of your problems and provide you with guidance afterward. 

How Do They Make You Feel?

Honestly, this may be the essential thing to consider and indeed the only question that matters. How does this “friend” make you feel? I believe we all internally know when something or someone is good or bad for us, that our intuition gives us some feeling about their intentions.

Moms have this gift best when it comes to friends! They always seem to know which friend is the “bad apple,” and they’re still right. So, please pay attention to how you feel in this friend’s presence and how you feel after speaking to them. Do they drain your energy? Do you find yourself always laughing when they are around? Do you argue all the time? You instantly know how someone makes you feel, so act according to those feelings.

A good friend can go a long way! You now know a bit more about discerning your friend group and how you can be intentional about allowing “good” friends around you. Regularly enforcing these values will help you in more ways than you can imagine. Speaking of friends, share this article with one!

Regina Price is a senior at Georgia State University majoring in neuroscience with a pre-medical concentration. She is the current President of STARS, a mental health organization on campus that works to eliminate the stigma! Regina aspires to be a doctor and leave a positive impact on the world with the aid of science. In her spare time, she loves to give back to the community, spend time with loved ones, and enjoy various forms of art.