Tips for Creating a Perfect College Schedule

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

Back to school commercials, school supplies on sale and plenty of back to school emails. Yes, you guessed it. It is time to go back to school already. If anyone is like me, I know that most of us are ready to get out of our parents’ house and move back to campus. Not only to see our friends who we truly missed, but also to start a new school year.

Starting the school year can be very exciting, and full of new adventures. The most exciting part of starting my second year of college is my fall semester schedule. My first year of college I had schedules that I wasn’t too fond of.

Both semesters I had classes that started at 9:30 in the morning every day, and I had Friday classes. Since I started class early every day, I was done with class around 2:45 in the afternoon, which is a pretty decent time. But I hated waking up at 8:00 in the morning every day to make it to class on time. Especially on Fridays, when most of my friends didn’t have to go to class and they would go out, but I couldn’t because I had a Friday class early in the morning.

I’m saying this to say, if you can, plan your schedule to exactly the way that you want it. When it is time to meet up with your counselor to plan your schedule, try to plan a schedule that you are comfortable with. If you are an early bird, take earlier classes. If you do not like to wake up so early, then schedule later classes. Trust me it’s not that hard.

Plan your schedule and get the CRN’s so that when it is time to get ready to register all you have to do is type the CRN’s in. I started to make a backup schedule just in case one of my classes were taken. Because trust me, if registration starts at 8 am, and you log on exactly at 8 a.m., one of your classes are bound to be taken. It happens to me almost every time. Having an extra schedule is helpful when deciding to plan your schedule.

Trying to plan your schedule is completely easy. You must know what you want your schedule to look like, be familiar with what time you want your classes to be, and just be prepared.

Photo credit:  http://advisement.gsu.edu/self-service/team-advisors/

https://www.fastweb.com/college-scholarships/articles/financial-aid-for-african-american-students

Courtney Jackson is a student at Georgia State University, where she is studying journalism with a concentration in public relations and a minor in Spanish. Jackson is currently a staff reporter for HerCampus online magazine, and she was formerly a staff reporter for Georgia State’s newspaper, The Signal. She is a member of the National Association of Black Journalists. Her goal is to find an internship that will allow her to utilize skills that she will need in her print journalism career. When she isn’t busy studying or writing stories, she loves to go to fashion events and watch Scandal.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus