mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mink mingle AlEyuIKuSmc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Things To Do When You’re In Rome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

1. Eat a Roman meal

One of the more common activities tourists take advantage of is the variety of Roman culture represented by the restaurants in the city. There are different tour guides dedicated to the exploration of Roman cuisine. Try signing up for one of these in order to have a sample of all that comes with Rome’s food palette. Cook With Us In Rome offers interactive cooking classes for all ages.

Photo: Katie Parla

2. Visit the Colosseum

The Colosseum is a popular tourist attraction in Rome and is famous for its history of battles. There are a few different ways to have the experience of walking through the halls of gladiators, kings and queens. For around $3 you can choose to tour the ruins yourself. Guided tours are more expensive, but have great reviews in comparison to independent tours.

Photo: Sarah Shumate

3. Walk through the Galleria Borghese          

The Galleria Borghese is home to countless paintings, sculptures and various artifacts collected dating back as early as the fifteenth century. The collection was first begun by the Cardinal Scipione Borghese in the 1600s to preserve the works of famed artists such as Antonello de Messina and Tiziano. Today it stands in the Borghese neighborhood of Rome, said to be one of the most beautiful areas the city has to offer.

Photo: Elyssa Bernard

4. Ride a bike on the city streets

Rome seems to have picturesque views that are highlighted by beautifully sunny days. Take this as an opportunity to enjoy the outdoors! The city offers a plethora of bike tours and along the narrow pathways that would make for a romantic date or just a fun way to take in the Roman air with friends and family.

Photo: Dana Berez

5. Make a wish in the Trevi Fountain

The Trevi fountain is one of the oldest water sources in Rome. It was built in 19 B.C. to provide water for baths and other fountains in Rome. It was named for its location in the middle of three streets, or tre vie, as called in Rome. According to the Lizzie McGuire Movie, the fountain has magical powers, making it possibly the most celestial water source in Rome. Flip a coin, make a wish, and see what happens next!

Photo: Gina Mussio

Rome is one of the most beautiful cities to visit, especially over the summer for a much needed break from school. Who knows, maybe you too will meet your celebrity doppelganger and become an overnight sensation!

Welcome to my fabulous article! Firstly, I want to thank you for stopping by. I'm a sophomore at Georgia State and a Journalism major. This is my first year writing for Her Campus, so have fun watching me grow! I love to read and I try to exercise as much as possible, so feel free to give me suggestions on either. If you want to talk about my article in a more personal setting, I'm open to dialogue in my email. See you back soon! - Kayla
The GSU chapter of Her Campus