This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you aren’t hip to the many wonderful benefits of essential oils, this is for you! Acne? There’s an oil for that. Anxiety? There’s an oil for that. Headache? Period Cramps? Girl, There-is-an-oil-for-that. Essential oils are used for beauty, medicinal uses, mental health, you name it.  Source

If I begin to tell you the name of each and every essential oil it would take you years to read this article, so we’re just going to give you a list of five that you should always have stocked. If you are new to the essential oil world, take notes! 

Peppermint Oil 

Source

This is an essential oil I highly recommend that you keep in your everyday purse/bag. Peppermint oil has a long list of uses, as many essential oils do. Some of the most popular uses of peppermint oil that we’ll focus on are headaches, period cramps, and hair.

Headache: If you have a headache, it is recommended that you rub 1-3 drops of oil on your temples and forehead, then voila! Let the magic work. 

Hair: Peppermint oil works wonders in your hair. If your shampoo doesn’t already have it, I highly recommend putting in several drops of peppermint oil. Not only does it give you a great tingly sensation, but it also promotes hair growth by increasing your blood circulation in your scalp. 

Period Cramps: The last use I will name is a favorite. Period cramps. If you want to trick your period cramps use 4 drops of peppermint oil along with a carrier oil (coconut oil is a good one). If you’re in a rush, you can do this and it will give you that tingly sensation it’s known for and relieve some pain. However if you are able to stay at home the peppermint oil along with a heating pad does wonders.  

Lavender Oil 

Source

This is another oil of the purse. Keep it with you! Lavender has always been a popular scent in candles, air fresheners, and incense to give off that calm aura in the home. However it does more than just sit around and smell good. 

Anxiety? This one’s for you. All it takes is a few drops on the hand or a piece of cloth and you’re all set. Bask in the calm. If you have an oil diffuser at home, even better!! A few drops of lavender oil in a diffuser can do some good for if you’re trying to relax or if you’re ready to drift off to sleep. 

Lavender oil has some similarities with peppermint oil when it comes to hair and period cramps. For hair, much like peppermint oil, lavender oil also increases blood circulation which makes it good for assistance in hair growth as well as to help relieve period cramps.

Lemon Grass 

Source

Lemon grass is a great oil to add into your daily moisturizer. Body butters/whipped shea butter are the best to add a little lemongrass to. Not only does it smell good giving off a fresh lemony scent, but it’s a natural alternative to keeping the mosquitoes away.  

This oil is also great for both oily hair and skin. It minimizes the appearance of pores and can control oil secretions. If you  choose to add this oil to your skin/hair products, be sure to look up the measurements in how to dilute it. 

Lemon 

Source

Lemon oil is a great oil to leave in the kitchen cabinet. This oil is a natural disinfectant. Any cleaner that you can think of, be it a diy cleaner for your laundry, dishes, countertops, etc., You can use lemon oil as the base for any of these cleaners.

Because of lemon oils disinfectant/detoxifying properties, it’s also a great oil to use with your face wash / skin toner.

Tea Tree Oil 

Source

Out of the many existing essential oils, Tea tree oil is the best well known for fighting against acne. Studies have shown that tea tree oil is just as effective as benzoyl peroxide, the leading medication against acne (Spritzler, Franziska). Be sure to dilute this before using on your skin if you are placing it anywhere around the eyes.

If you are prone to dandruff, this is a good oil to add to your shampoo. There are various studies that show that tea tree oil is effective in reducing dandruff.

Source

Well there you have it. Just remember, this list is just a small list and each of the oils i’ve listed have a lot more benefits than the ones i’ve listed, but this is a great starter kit for anyone interested in seeing if essential oils are something for you. 

The GSU chapter of Her Campus