Support Local Black Owned Businesses: They’re Closer than You Think

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The protests may have died down and social media pages are started to reflect some kind of normalcy. However, it is still important to continue to push for social change in our community, country and nation. What better way to do that than to support black owned businesses? 

Black woman learning
Photo by Nappy.co

Here are some Black businesses to support in the midst of protests, social changes, and a pandemic: 

Want to update your hair care routine? Tap into affordable brands such as The Mane Choice and The Doux. Products range from shampoos and conditioners to texture foams and oil sheens. To top it off, you can find these underrated products at your local Walmart. 

Want to go out to eat? Check out Atlanta based restaurants like Paschal’s, Sweet Georgia’s Juke Joint, and Harold’s Chicken and Ice Bar. Not only is the Southern cuisine constantly leaving you wanting more, the atmospheres set the right vibes for families, friends and couples. 

Want to get involved with community service? Follow organizations such as Project South, @A Just Georgia, and The New Georgia Project on their social media platforms for opportunities to serve and be a part of something bigger than yourself. These platforms take a bold stance on fighting against racial and economic disparities amongst Black and brown people and are always looking for more people to keep the cause alive. 

two people working on laptop together at work job
Pexels / Startup Stock Photos

Want to get your workout on? Hit up KTX Fitness on Martin Luther King Jr Drive Southwest and dropthat quarantine weight sis! They have a variety of classes to take without breaking your wallet. 

How about a self care day? Treat yourself to a day at the spa! Honeysuckle Moon is located on Ralph David Abernathy Boulevard. This Black owned business  is just the place for your natural care needs from facials to beard grooming to henna and exfoliation. 

Laptop and Phone
Photo by Austin Distel from Unsplash

We must be the change we wish to seek! It is important to utilize all of the options necessary to create change in our world. In order to do so, we must continue to protest, sign petitions, educate yourselves, and support local black owned businesses.

be the change you wish to seek. atl | gsu
The GSU chapter of Her Campus