brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

The new era of technology provides many ways to communicate. Through numerous social media platforms and film structures, people are able to share their ideas, conduct business and connect with friends all over the world.

Consequently, with great communication comes an uncontrollable platform that depicts women with photoshopped and airbrushed bodies. These photos are the common perceptions of the “perfect” body, especially in regards to women. These preferred sizes, shapes and even skin tones can vary from one culture to the next.

However, it is undeniable that the physiques that possess light skin complexions and curves in “all the right places” (with minimal fat, cellulite or stretch marks) are universally accepted over others.

In order to tackle this bias against those who do not fit that image, women such as, Amber Wagner (first image), Amina Mucciolo (second), Jazzmyne Robbins (third) and Megan Jayne Crabbe (last), have prioritized the practice of self-love, strong mental health and positive body image through multiple forms of media.

What makes them so “super” is the fact that they are all plus-sized women. By loving themselves, they have already defied the odds. And in doing so, are helping hundreds of thousands learn how to love themselves too.

Source: papermag.com Source: http://bystudiomucci.com/

Source: twitter.com 

Source: the-unedit.com

Although they share the same objectives, these women consistently advocate for appreciation of all body types, positive mental health and self-love in their own, unique ways.

Wagner, 27, is known for her hilarious Youtube videos and passionate motivation. She frequently posts videos about reaching your goals, having a healthy mindset and her faith in God.

Mucciolo, 37, has been recognized for her colorful personality, fashion and home décor. Her website, tasselfairy.com, showcases unique garments such as the D.I.Y Faux Flower Jacket, shopping tips and articles about her experience living as a black woman outside of the stereotype. There are also videos on her Youtube channel that are centered around her joy for vibrant clothes, hair, furniture and unique accessories.

Robbins, 27, is a video producer for Buzzfeed’s As/Is. An interview for the network’s YouTube channel titled, What You Don’t Know About Jazzmyne is where she opens up about an eating disorder she struggled with during high school and college.

The realization that she was putting herself in danger, hurting her friends and family and was at risk of needing rehab was enough for her to adopt healthy eating habits. Since her recovery, she has devoted her energy into loving who she is and thinking positively about her size.

Similarly to Robbins, Crabbe, 24, is a survivor of an eating disorder. In order to share her story and help others who may be suffering as well, she wrote two books which are available for purchase at Amazon.com.  

The first book, Body Positive Power: How to stop dieting, make peace with your body and live, is about her battle with anorexia. In her second book, Body Positive Power: Because Life Is Already Happening and You Don’t Need Flat Abs to Live, Crabbe confronts the problem of unrealistic beauty standards being pushed on women and how we should just live our lives.

These beautiful women are inspirational to so many people. They reach nearly every corner of the world through social media, print and film, and draw attention to the detrimental expectations of a woman’s appearance through their platforms. They prove that “Yeah! you can be plus-sized and still look great in that swimsuit!” No matter what society says, the only opinion that truly matters is the one you have for yourself, especially when it is positive.

Check out their Instagram pages for daily posts about positivity and being your best self:

Amber Wagner: @Jstlbby                                             Amina Mucciolo: @studiomucci

Jazzmyne Robbins: @jazzmynejay                               Megan Jayne Crabbe: @bodyposipanda                                                                          

Sophomore, Georgia State University. Major: Studio Art
The GSU chapter of Her Campus