Sam White: “I’m Tired of Being Everyone’s Angry Black Woman”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

When living in a society full of never ending injustices, there’s always something to protest. And who says you shouldn’t? There’s nothing wrong with demanding equality. But you’re not obligated to demand it for everyone who feels that they’ve been wronged.

Comedian/actress Monique recently called for a boycott of Netflix. The comedian claims that Netflix offered her only $500,000 to do a comedy special- a significantly smaller amount than they offered fellow comedians Amy Schumer, Dave Chappelle, and Chris Rock. This has sparked a large debate on social media, because many people are questioning whether they should be obligated to boycott on her behalf.

https://me.me/i/monique-calls-for-a-boycott-of-netflix-for-color-bias-20333017

Black women, however, seem to be held to the highest standard. The truth is, black women do face twice the discrimination that white women and black men experience. Therefore, as black women, we have to learn to be strong and work four times as hard. Thus, the “angry black woman’ stereotype is formed. This is the idea that when black women demand equality, they’re angry, bitter, and mean.

In the movie “Dear White People”, the main character, Sam White, battles with this stereotype throughout the film. As president of her university’s Black Student Union, she runs a radio show and protests the racial injustices on her campus. By the end of the film, she is tired of hiding her interracial relationship and says she is tired of “being everyone’s angry black woman.” It’s a racist, misogynistic stigma that no one wants placed on them. So how do we stop it?

http://coderedflag.com/blog/angry-black-woman/

As black women, we still have a long way to go in our fight for equality. Inevitably, people are going to want to constantly place us in this box. But what you can do, is get rid of the myth that black women should protest for everyone. When you decide to speak up for what you believe in, realize that it comes with consequences. That it automatically associated with your personal brand, so don’t protest for anything you don’t truly believe in. And don’t feel that you have to align with just because they look like you.

Sure, Monique may feel that she deserves more than $500,000 for a comedy special, but some people with only make $500,000 in their lifetime. Black women are not professional protesters, waiting to be called on when someone yells “discrimination!” Black women are magical, and our support should be valued just as much as everyone else’s. It should take a lot more than a few Instagram videos and a “I love us, for real,” to garner our support.

http://www.tlaxcala-int.org/article.asp?reference=14783

It is okay to get angry, and you shouldn’t let anyone make you feel that your anger is invalid because of your race and gender. However, your anger should be your own. If you don’t relate to it in some way or if it does not make you want to protest, don’t feel obligated to.

My name is Dobbin Johnson is a sophomore af Georgia State University. She is a proud Alabama girl with a love for family, friends, and all things southern. Dobbin wants to go on to own her own non profit organization and news network.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus