Reading Roundup: The Books I Want to Read Before the End of the Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you’re an adamant reader, you know that you set goals for how many books or what specific books you want to read by the end of the year every year. I personally choose distinct books instead of a certain number.  

Not only did I want to make sure they were diverse, but I also wanted to make sure I tried books that aren’t generally on my radar. Here are the five books I want to make sure I read by the end of the year. 

“Crescent City” by Sarah J. Maas

• I’m already a huge Sarah J. Maas fan, so this fantasy fiction was a book that I made sure to have on my list. It is a thick book with 800 pages, so I need to make room in my schedule to finish this in a reasonable amount of time. I’ve watched a few booktubers rant and rave about this book, so hopefully, it meets the standard I expect from Sarah J. Maas.

“Passing” by Nella Larsen

• This book is more of a historical piece, and I love history. Brit Bennet, the author of The Vanishing Half, wrote the foreword for “Passing,” which made me buy this book. Plus, the two books share significant similarities, so I thought I would give this book a shot. So far, with this one, I have not been disappointed. 

“Somewhere Between Bitter and Sweet” by Laekan Zea Kemp

• The cover of this book is what made me purchase it and put it on my list. I saw this young adult fiction while walking in a bookstore, and I was intrigued. This is my first time reading Kemp’s work, so I don’t know what to expect. 

“Dominicana” by Angie Cruz

• Dominicana was a historical fiction that I heard about for a while, but it didn’t grab my attention. I read one chapter of it and never really picked it up again until now. After watching several youtube videos relating to the book, I made it my mission to give this book another chance and finish it. 

“Ties That Tether” by Jane Igharo

• Just like Dominicana, I wasn’t sold on this book at first. I would walk past it several times while in Target, and one day I just decided to pick it up. In my opinion, the worst thing that can happen is that I end up not liking this contemporary romance, which is common when trying something new. 

These books are not only culturally different, but also they belong to different genres. I can’t wait to crack these books open and experience the greatness I heard so much about. My goal is to have these books finished by December. Hopefully, that will come true. I recommend you try these books out for yourself as well. Step out and read something that usually isn’t your style. You never know where it can take you.

Amber is a senior at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University. She is passionately working towards a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing. She is a fast learner who enjoys trying new things and analyzing any problem. She is the Social Media Co-Chair for Her Campus GSU and the VP of Advertising for American Marketing Association GSU Chapter. Amber is currently looking for marketing opportunities in social media, tech, and other related fields. In her free time, you can find her either reading, listening to a podcast, or watching Netflix.