This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

It has officially been one year since Coronvirus started to infect millions in the United States and life changed forever. 

Colleges closed down, cities were empty, and no one had any information on the now available vaccine. We had no way of knowing that we would be operating virtually for this long. 

Fast forward to a year later, times have changed as we’re still living in a COVID-19 world. We all have grown into new people and have begun to see life differently. 

Efforts to reduce the virus’s spread, including physical distancing, quarantine, and stay-at-home orders, prompted isolation and loneliness.

Staying away from friends has taken a hit on friendships. Being a young adult in our late teens and twenties, a vast part of our lives includes social time. This has affected me profoundly being an extroverted person.

Two girls embracing from behind
Photo by Ramil Ugot from Pexels

Being away from social life and my friends made me realize how precious time is with the people in your life. This pandemic has made me realize things as simple as a hug or coffee with a friend at the café are essential. We never know what can hit us in life and everything in life is unpredicted. We should cherish our time with others. 

When the pandemic began, many people started to try out new hobbies and alter their lifestyles. Some people moved to new places, fell in love, started families, reconnected with old friends, and many put their lives into perspective and grew into a new person. I began to find a purpose in my life and found what I wanted to do and become. I began to practice a more healthy lifestyle. 

This pandemic has made me realize my priorities and remember how precious life is. It has been a reminder to appreciate the more minor things in life – the things I often take for granted. 

With so many deaths each day, I am grateful for my family and friends, even if it means video calls and text messages while we cannot see each other in-person. With so many people falling ill and passing away, I am grateful for my health. With so many people losing jobs and becoming homeless, I am thankful for the food in my fridge and a place to call home. 

woman in white long-sleeve shirt looking out a rainy window
Photo by Leonardo Pavão from Pexels
This pandemic has made me reevaluate my life, assess my priorities, and serve as a reminder of how precious life is and appreciate the small things in life.

Raidah is currently a senior at Georgia State University. She is currently majoring in Biology with an interest to go into the healthcare field. Some of her hobbies include traveling, meeting new people, and photography! She hopes to write you interesting articles for Her Campus!
The GSU chapter of Her Campus