This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

As a young African American reader, it can be hard sometimes to find books on relatable characters. If you have ever been in my shoes, here are some new recommendations on books where the main character looks just like you and me.

1. Grown By Tiffany D. Jackson 

Book Cover for Grown
Katherine Tegen Books

Release Date: September 15, 2020 

This YA novel revolves around the 17-year-old main character Enchanted Jones. Enchanted was an aspiring singer who, after an audition, gets swept off her feet by legendary R&B singer Korey Fields. She is dazzled by the charm and star power, not realizing her biggest dream is about to become her worst nightmare. This story touches on the tough conversation of misogynoir, rape culture, and the vulnerability of young black girls.

2. Dear Justyce By Nic Stone 

Book Cover for Dear Justyce
Crown Books for Young Readers

Release Date: September 29,2020 

A sequel to her New York Times bestseller “Dear Martin,” Stone continues the conversation on the discrimination of African American boys in the American Justice System. Quan, a young teen incarcerated in the American prison system, writes letters to justyce, the protagonist of Dear Martin. Through these letters & flashbacks, he tells his story of a troubled childhood and bad-timing to a coerced confession and prejudiced police work. 

3. Early Departures By Justin A Reynolds 

Book Cover for Early Departures
Katherine Tegen Books

Release Date: September 22, 2020 

This YA contemporary novel is a book that not only talks about grief but also teaches on forgiveness and making every moment count. Jamal’s best friend Q is brought back to life after a freak accident, but they only have a short time together before he will die again. The weird thing is Q doesn’t know he’s about to die. He also doesn’t know that Jamal tried to save his life. Early Departures is a book filled with twists and turns, leaving you wanting more. 

​

4. LegendBorn by Tracy Deonn 

Book Cover of Legend Born
Margaret K. McElderry Books

Release Date: September 15, 2020

This YA contemporary fantasy focuses on 16-year-old Bree Matthews. After the death of her mother, what Bree thought would be a great escape from family and childhood memories ends up being a lot more than she bargained for. From witnessing a flying demon feeding on human energies to discovering who the legend Born are. This action/ mystery packed book will leave you breathless. 

​

5. Punching the Air By Ibi Zoboi and Yusef Salaam 

Book Cover for Punching the Air
Balzer + Bray; Illustrated Edition

Release Date: September 1, 2020 

Punching the Air is a YA novel written in verse about a boy who is wrongfully incarcerated. The main character 16-year-old Amal Shahid is wrongfully convicted of a crime he didn’t commit after an altercation escalates into a tragedy. This book is written by award-winning, bestselling author Ibi Zoboi and Prison reform activist Yusef Salaam of the Exonerated Five. 

I hope this list inspires you to research these authors and read other great books they have written. This list only contains a few of the books that were recently released. There are plenty more that I encourage you to look up because they are amazing as well. 

Amber is a senior at the J. Mack Robinson College of Business, Georgia State University. She is passionately working towards a Bachelor of Business Administration in Marketing. She is a fast learner who enjoys trying new things and analyzing any problem. She is the Social Media Co-Chair for Her Campus GSU and the VP of Advertising for American Marketing Association GSU Chapter. Amber is currently looking for marketing opportunities in social media, tech, and other related fields. In her free time, you can find her either reading, listening to a podcast, or watching Netflix.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus