DivaCup promotion
DivaCup promotion
Jenna Spray
Wellness > Health

My First Time Using the DivaCup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GSU chapter.

If you’re a uterus owner like me, every month (or whenever your body feels like it) your body prepares a new home for a baby that you’re probably not going to have. That’s right, the inner lining of your uterus sheds resulting in a period. 

Women have various options for their cycle. Pads, tampons, menstrual discs, and more. Recently, there has been a lot of hype around the DivaCup leaving me no choice but to try it. 

Here are a few pros and cons of the DivaCup:

Pros

Woman Holding Lollipop
Aline Viana / Pexels

It Feels Like Your Not on Your Period

Usually you have to go to the bathroom and change your pad or your tampons multiple times a day, constantly reminding you that you’re on your period. With the DivaCup, you only change it once or twice a day making you kind of forget that you’re on your period.

Maddi Bazzocco

Use Up to 12 Hours 

Before actually using the DivaCup, I was a little skeptical about leaving it in for 12 hours but it’s totally true. After wearing the cup for 12 hours on day one it was full. But, everyday after that it wasn’t even halfway full after 12 hours. So no need to worry that your cup will overflow or spill unless you have extremely heavy periods.

Comfortable Fit

I must admit I was very scared that I was going to feel the cup inside of me as throughout the day. But, if you buy the correct size DivaCup you will not feel it inside of you. The cup is made from medical grade silicone allowing the cup to form into the shape of your vagina. Just remember your vagina is stronger than the cup.

Cons

I can\'t help you mad men sally draper
Lionsgate Television

It Sucks for First-timers

I recommend watching several YouTube videos and tutorials on how to use a DivaCup before trying it for the first time. Inserting the cup for the first time can be intimidating. The instruction manual gives insertion methods to find out which one works for you. Overall, just be willing to learn how to use the cup with an open mind.

It Can Leak

When you insert your DivaCup it’s extremely important that you make sure you create a suction. If you miss this step, there’s a high chance you’ll leak. In the beginning it can be a little scary. It was difficult to move my finger around the outside of the cup to make sure it was secure. I recommend inserting the cup halfway, fully opening the cup, then twisting it in a full circle while pushing upward. After doing this you should feel a suction.

After many doubts and fears I must say that I’m a fan of the DivaCup. You’ll definitely go to the bathroom less and save money since you won’t have to go on that emergency grocery store trip. Make the switch to the DivaCup.

Qiyamah Saleem is a Senior at Georgia State University, pursuing her Marketing degree and Advertising certification. When she’s not writing for Her Campus or studying, she’s designing graphics or whipping soap.
The GSU chapter of Her Campus